Join now - be part of our community!

STR-DN 1080 - Calibration setting not stored

profile.country.DE.title
phil_merge

STR-DN 1080 - Calibration setting not stored

Hi,

After performing the auto speaker calibration and selecting a setting ("Full Flat" for example), this setting is not stored. 

When I switch the receiver off and on again, the speaker calibration setting is ignored, although it still says "Full Flat" in the menu. The sound is as if it was set to "Off".

I need to manually set the setting to "Off" and to "Full flat" to hear the correct speaker calibration.

Thanks for your help!

Phil

193 REPLIES 193
profile.country.DE.title
phil_merge

Here are the latest measurements after "clearing" for three different frequency ranges.

Blue line = "Off".

Red line = "Full flat" prior to reboot.

Green line = "Full flat" after reboot.

7Hz to 215Hz7Hz to 215Hz

58Hz to 1722Hz58Hz to 1722Hz

484Hz to 20453Hz484Hz to 20453Hz

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi Ben and Philippe,

First off, thank you both for following up on my request to perform a measurement test after clearing up the device. I truly appreciate that, as that helps ruling out any coincidental malfunction. I also had a detailed look at the results posted by Philippe and can clearly say that it doesn't look good at all. Your device fails post a power cycle to retain the calibration mode profiles. So I don't see any reason why your device would not require a repair service. You are obviously entitled to a full functioning device.

As far as I understand it, both of you were already in contact with Sony CS to arrange a repair service way before I even picked up on this thread. That is why I have trouble understanding some of your comments and complaints implying Sony CS refuses to offer you a service repair. Would you be willing to share the full sequence of events?

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
Beeper85

Hi

Two issues here. Sony is refusing to acknowledge an issue, and without
acknowledging an issue to fix, how can it be fixed?

If this is an issue on a code level it is unlikely to be fixed by sending
it in (unless the specific issue is noted).

Second, I just keep getting referred to the service centre and warranty
terms - this is an issue that has existed since purchase yet Sony wants me
to pay to return the unit? With no certainty it will be fixed, or
turnaround time? You will know how crippling it is to the system to be a
receiver down!

I had hoped that by working it though here Sony would acknowledge an issue
and issue a fix (I'm sure it can be!).

Ben
profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Ben,

Thanks for your quick response. Perhaps I can't follow up your reasoning quite well, but despite that let me offer here a clarification. Maybe it's just a matter of correct wording.

Your device is defective, and probably it has been defective since you purchased it due a manufacturing defect. For Sony to repair your device and return it in full functioning order you will need to request a repair service and send in your device. My sincere suggestion to you is not to wait too long in requesting a repair service, as your warranty might expire and you won't be longer entitled to a repair service under warranty.

If you refuse to offer your device (for any reason), you cannot expect Sony to fix the fault and return it to you.

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.DE.title
phil_merge

Dear dutchice,

Below you will find excerpts of what SONY customer support had to say. Obviously some copy/paste texts (about headphones, calling me Mr Reynolds, etc.), irrelevant stuff (make and model of speakers...!) or trying to get me to read the manual about how to use the calibration feature (as if I wouldn't know how to do that).

"In reference to your enquiry about your Sony receiver, we would like to highlight that we are not aware of any ongoing issues in regards to this model. 

You can refer to the link below for further clarification in regards to using this feature:

https://helpguide.sony.net/ha/strdn108/v1/en/contents/TP0001221378.html?search=calibration "

"-Are you encountering any issues with the calibration settings?"

"In reference to your enquiry about your Sony receiver, we can confirm that there is not any ongoing issues in regards to this specific model."

"

1-Unplug the power cord from the mains, and plug it after 2 minutes.

2-Ensure that the receiver is running on the latest software version using the link below:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/audio-components-receivers-amplifiers/str-dn1080/download... 

3-Reset the receiver to default setting using the instructions in the link below:

https://helpguide.sony.net/ha/strdn108/v1/en/contents/TP0001221280.html?search=reset 

4-You can save the calibration settings by following the instructions in the link below:

https://helpguide.sony.net/ha/strdn108/v1/en/contents/TP0001221378.html?search=calibration 

If the above didn’t rectify the issue, kindly answer the below for further assistance in your case:

1-Was the device working fine before or is the issue there since day one?

2-If it occured recently, when did the issue start?

3-What exactly happens after you press on save?

4-Do you receive any error message?"

"

1-Was the device working fine before or is the issue there since day one?

2-If it occurred recently, when did the issue start?

3-What exactly happens after you press on save?  

4-Do you receive any error message?

5-What is the model and make of the speakers in use ?

6-How frequent does the issue occur ?

7- Please try to disable the Bravia sync settings following the steps in the link below:

https://helpguide.sony.net/ha/strdn108/v1/en/contents/TP0001221293.html

8-Please specify how is the amplifier connected to the TV ? Is it using EARC , ARC or optical input?

9- What is the current software version ?"

"Dear Mr Reynolds (sic!)

Thank you for your recent email.

In reference to your enquiry, please try to disconnect all external device devices connected to the amplifier, then test one device at a time, if the issue still persists then you may contact the nearest authorized service centre for better assistance."

I have always answered all questions, but this only goes on an on. The same for the German customer support. You must admit that one has to loose patience with this - as is probably intended.

I did contact my local SONY center, where I bought the receiver, but they put me in contact with a sales person, who wanted me to come to the store so that he can show me how the calibration actually works. Or I would have to bring my unit and show him the problem, which, as you now know from this thread, is not very obvious and would have taken me too much time. When I asked for a unit exchange, they told me they were out of stock for months. 

- You asked us to provide much information. We did that, proving that at least our units have a problem.

- Could you now please upload your graphs (being at least as detailed as mine - SONY should be able to do that) to prove that other units are OK? Unless you can prove us wrong, you have to accept our claims and do something.

- You said that many other people are reading this. Where are they? Who are they? What is their comment? If they exist.

- You explicitly asked us to "clear" our units and perform the analysis again. We did this. It took us much time. According to you, this was extremely important. And you get back to us saying sorry, bad luck, you have a problem. Sorry, but is that it? What a waste of time.

- I would be as kind as to test another unit that SONY would send over to me.

What I would expect now: Please contact my local SONY dealer, inform him that I am entitled to getting a new unit in exchange, without me having to explain all this over and over again to the store manager.

Then I will test the new unit and we will know if all are affected or not.

Thank you

Philippe

profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

I suspect all you are dealing with is support workers in a call center, who can do absolutely nothing unless it's written in a script. I suspect the concerns raised won't go any further than the support workers.

profile.country.GB.title
Beeper85

@phil_merge  Again, summed up really well.   It would be VERY interesting to test a unit that Sony believes is working 100% following a swap.  

@dutchice you will likely be able to request email transcripts from Sony and you will see I have had the same instructions etc.  The problem being, as stated, that if this is a code level problem (which I think it is) Sony will simply issue another unit with the same problem, or confirm there is no error (again, this is at my cost and time). 

@grolschie I have asked for this to be escalated to someone who can actually assist.  I don't expect much! 

profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

I presume the STR-DN1080 will not let people install older firmware?

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi Philippe,

I have been thankful to you from the very start for your engagement and specially for your continuous effort in providing your measurement results. I also appreciate you taking your time to post some excerpts of your communication with Sony CS. By reading through your quotes it makes perfect sense that Sony CS agents would require you to answer the type of questions they have asked. From what I understand you have contacted Sony CS at multiple occasions both in the UK and Germany, which explains why you repeatedly have been asked the same questions. What you do not mention is what was the final result for each of your case IDs. Generally speaking after determining the scope of the problem (through questions) you will be provided with clear instructions on how to proceed for a service repair in your country of residence. But for some reason which is still unknown to me, you have not concluded the multiple service repair requests you initiated.

This is the main reason why I asked in my previous post: would you be willing to share the full sequence of events. Because by no means does that sound as you suggest me saying "sorry, bad luck, you have a problem." In fact I have followed-up with both Ben and yourself from the very first moment the discussion caught my attention. Since your experience matters to us, I would like to understand the facts step-by-step in order to be able to help. So I hope you accept my offer in being your best partner for resolving your case. Lets be very clear on that.

To conclude the matter, I would like you to send me a private message with all the case IDs you have opened with Sony CS so I can escalate the issue with the head of Sony CS Europe. They will in return contact you through e-mail or phone, but this time round you will have to follow-up their instructions until the end by providing all they require to complete the repair service. I do not work at the Sony CS department so I do not have access to your communication or information. Therefor I would appreciate it if you kept us posted on the process.

Hopefully Ben will also step-up and send in his unit for repair service. The STR-DN1080 is a great receiver in so many respects and it would be utterly a shame if you are not able to enjoy all its features to the full extent.

Cheers, 

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
Beeper85

Thank you. Whilst you sense our frustration, it is just that we would like
to get it sorted.

The issue with following through with the repair is that I am being asked
to either travel 50miles with the unit, or post it, at my cost (and little
comfort that Sony is 'on this'). It feels like we are penalised for what is
a very clear problem. I will however send you the case number so this can
be looked at.

Thanks for your help.