Join now - be part of our community!

STR-DN 1080 - Calibration setting not stored

profile.country.DE.title
phil_merge

STR-DN 1080 - Calibration setting not stored

Hi,

After performing the auto speaker calibration and selecting a setting ("Full Flat" for example), this setting is not stored. 

When I switch the receiver off and on again, the speaker calibration setting is ignored, although it still says "Full Flat" in the menu. The sound is as if it was set to "Off".

I need to manually set the setting to "Off" and to "Full flat" to hear the correct speaker calibration.

Thanks for your help!

Phil

193 REPLIES 193
profile.country.DE.title
phil_merge

Owners on a German HiFi Forum start to confirm the issue after I asked them to check.

Hopefully it will spread.

This unit is not so great as it has at least one major fault.

Still waiting for graphs and detailed technical info from qualified SONY technicians following this thread.

profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

Thank you for persisting, Philippe.

profile.country.GB.title
Beeper85

Can you get the other users to post here, Philippe? 

May help Sony focus, and narrow down the issues/causes.

A squeaky wheel and all that!

profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

It may have been introduced in a firmware update. Will this AVR allow installing of earlier firmware, or does it block the installation?

profile.country.GB.title
Beeper85

Not that I can see

profile.country.DE.title
VinceKullerauge
Explorer

I am one of the guys that reported the same issue on the german hifi forum. Today i will check the firmware version of my STR DN1080 but i assume its the latest version. If it is a software issue, maybe we can download an earlier firmware version and install it per USB? I searched for the previous downloadable version (M41.R.0377) but had no success. If Sony can provide us this firmware in case it is possible to downgrade the receiver, we could compare if the issue still exists.

Best

Vince'

profile.country.DE.title
phil_merge

Hi Vince,

Thanks for taking the time to post on this forum!

I had the same problem using an older firmware.

The behaviour was identical before and after the firmware update in my case.

best

Philippe

profile.country.DE.title
VinceKullerauge
Explorer

Hi Philippe,

no problem. If this also helps to get the problem sorted. It is a bit annoying to re-activate the cal. setting every time i start the receiver.

I can swear that in the beginning the receiver stored the auto cal. setting for me. I had serious problems with my bass distribution in my previous living room (too much bass in certain frequencies). After calibration, the sound was much more balanced and not so "bass" - pronounced in the whole flat.

Is there an option to remove all updates from the receiver?

And another idea from my side:

What's about the alternative standby options (like Bluetooth standby - standby light switch to orange/yellow) where the receiver will not switch-off completely? Does anyone tried this already and does this may save the cal setting for the next start up? If not, I will try this as well in the evening.

Best 

Vince'

profile.country.GB.title
Beeper85

Did you work anything else out Vince?

@dutchice- I have not yet heard anything from Sony to escalate this.  Out of interest, and for the purposes of this thread, what have the other individuals who have been following this from a Sony found? 

profile.country.DE.title
VinceKullerauge
Explorer

So far i only found out that my DN1080 is on the latest firmware (i think that was obvious). I need to test the Bluetooth stand-by workaround in the evening (best case). Background: I got a few problems in the living room with water damage, therefore a dehumidifier is working for a few couple of hours a day with uncomfortable loud noises.

Best

Vince'