Join now - be part of our community!

STR-DN 1080 - Calibration setting not stored

profile.country.DE.title
phil_merge

STR-DN 1080 - Calibration setting not stored

Hi,

After performing the auto speaker calibration and selecting a setting ("Full Flat" for example), this setting is not stored. 

When I switch the receiver off and on again, the speaker calibration setting is ignored, although it still says "Full Flat" in the menu. The sound is as if it was set to "Off".

I need to manually set the setting to "Off" and to "Full flat" to hear the correct speaker calibration.

Thanks for your help!

Phil

193 REPLIES 193
profile.country.DE.title
phil_merge

Today I measured everything again, after following the instructions and "clearing" the unit.

As all memorized settings were deleted after the "clearing", I had to re-calibrate again, setting the sources, speaker configurations, etc. (I did a factory reset several times before starting this thread...).

The measurements showed the same results: After rebooting the unit, the shown calibration setting is not applied to the audio output sent to the speakers. One has to manually switch the calibration setting to "Off" and back to "Full Flat" again to actually have the corrected output signal sent to the speakers.

I will post the pictures the next days.

This time I also measured the very low frequency range (7Hz to 215,01Hz). Same conclusion.

If needed I can also post the measurement details for each measured frequency band, which is more accurate than the graphs. However, the graphs are, in my opinion, really efficient to illustrate the issue very easily and quickly.

best regards

Philippe

profile.country.GB.title
Beeper85

Nice one Philippe.

I have sunk way too much time into this unit, and I am sure you have put more in!

We are doing the job of Sony QA which isn't right...

profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

Thank you, Philippe.

profile.country.DE.title
phil_merge

Yes, I also get the feeling that we are doing SONY's work here.

Their customer support (UK and Germany) just keep sending me mails asking for serial numbers, more details about irrelevant stuf (speaker brand, for example...), clearly not understanding the issue.

As usual, the company wants to isolate the issue and let you know that you are doing something wrong, not them.

In such a way as to hope to discourage the customer to insist with their claim and just end up in settling with having bought a faulty unit or being too dumb to use it.

Therefore I also contacted the editors of "WhatHifi" magazine, who gave this unit very good reviews, hoping that they might want to test it again.

I still believe that a software update with this bug being fixed would solve the issue.

best

Philippe

profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

Contacting WhatHiFi? Marvellous!!!

profile.country.GB.title
Beeper85

I have also contacted WhatHiFi but had no response.

I am getting the same runaround from customer service 'send us the serial number' over and over and then 'contact the local service centre' at my cost! 

profile.country.DE.title
phil_merge

Good morning,

Here are the measurement results after "clearing" the unit. Due to the limitation of pictures I can upload, I will start with the Full range (484,35Hz to 20,45kHz). The results are the same as prior to "clearing" the unit.

1. Sweep tone - Full range - Off

OffOff

2. Sweep tone - Full range - Full Flat

Full FlatFull Flat

3. Sweep tone - Full range - Reboot - Full Flat

Reboot - Full FlatReboot - Full Flat

best

Philippe

profile.country.GB.title
Beeper85

As expected...

profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

The ball's now in Sony's court?

profile.country.GB.title
Beeper85

Just had another email from Sony stating 'there are no known faults with this unit' - despite linking them to this thread which clearly shows a fault...   and asking for the serial number, again.

@dutchice Have you got anything to add at this stage?  Sony aren't acknowledging an issue (and I think even with your intial cynicism you will now agree that from the data shown there is an issue).