Join now - be part of our community!

Android Marshmallow No stamina mode

Razorig2
Visitor

Android Marshmallow No stamina mode

Since Marshmallow has replaced Stamina mode, can you selectively choose which apps you want to keep running in the background when the screen is off or does doze just disable all background running apps whilst in idle?

I would really like to know this as I only like getting selected app notifications when the screen is off.
Does doze give you the same amount of freedom to selectively choose which apps to keep running in the background?

I'm still waiting for MM but from what I heard there's quite a few problems with it, anyone who has it, any improvements to the camera performance or is it still poor?
279 REPLIES 279
Damo7
Visitor

Hi RiloNet,

Try to do repair your mobile by connecting USB cable of your computer. Sony saying 2 days of battery life, with Marshamllow update if one day coming means... that is really great. I can't understand why sony not working and not helping to customers. 

For my mobile some times by default not showing exter card and its irreating for me.... I suggest please don't buy SONY smartphones and outside local compnay smartphones with in 20K works more than sony and not required to spend for sony 40 to 50K.... I request not work of buying sony mobiles at any cost. 

profile.country.GB.title
umernall
New

Just got my 32.2.A.0.224 upgrade this morning.

Phone was at 100% when the upgrade finished (I left it plugged in to PSU during upgrade).

I selected the "Always On" Stamina option straightaway and added my most important apps to the "Battery Optimisation - NOT OPTIMISED" list - that was at around 9:30am this morning.

It is now 5hrs later - and the phone is still on 91% !!

So far this is looking very good - I am normally down to at least 80% or even lower by now.

FYI: I am in the UK on the Vodafone contract.

So, hang in there guys and gals.

Vildar
Visitor

Just got my update. Im happy that the stamina mode is back. Especialy for the ULTRA Stamina.

Howerver, this isnt the stamina mode i remember. It turns off GPS, Vibration etc. Leaves a notification in the bar now too. Much like MM's original battery saver mode. The only difference i can see is you can add apps into the standbye list so that they will stay active.

Im still happy its back, the ability to go 3-4 days without charging and still get my messages/facebook/emails etc is great. But still not near the stamina of lolipop.

musique101
Visitor

@harryw66 wrote:

Just got my 32.2.A.0.224 upgrade this morning.

Phone was at 100% when the upgrade finished (I left it plugged in to PSU during upgrade).

I selected the "Always On" Stamina option straightaway and added my most important apps to the "Battery Optimisation - NOT OPTIMISED" list - that was at around 9:30am this morning.

It is now 5hrs later - and the phone is still on 91% !!

So far this is looking very good - I am normally down to at least 80% or even lower by now.

FYI: I am in the UK on the Vodafone contract.

So, hang in there guys and gals.

Very happy to hear that. Sadly not the same experince here.

Wish I were as lucky as you're.  After selecting "always on"  (since I don't use 95% of the apps, didn't select any as not optimized) ...my phone was lagging at 15-13% by 7 pm!

Ulta power mode wasn't helpful either...got similar result. 

netboysteve
Visitor

ErikEngerd, I believe you said you disabled Location Access for Google Play services.  How did you do this?  None of the permissions for Google Play Services are location based. Are you saying you go thru all your apps individually?  I don't see a central configuration screen for location access

Also: all you users that enable Stamina mode all the time, how are you happy with this?  The maximum brightness of the screen is hugely reduced, I can barely see it outside. For me the joy of the phone (and that is rapidly eroding) is the lovely bight saturation of it.  Samsung power saving allows you to select options, Sony, please give options with Stamina mode.

Thanks.

ErikEngerd1
Visitor

@netboysteve I set location mode to battery saving but that also disables gps, so in the end I set it to high accuracy again. The main problem as I had was that I used an adb hack to configure doze, and that seemed to cause a wake lock issue.

Mikozouzou
Visitor

Well, I just get the last update on my Xperia Z5 and I hope that many of the main problems will be fixed.
I'm glad to hear from some of you that the battery saving mode is better, but since my first look to it I'm already disappointed.

The stamina mode isn't back at all. They just renamed doze by stamina and all the parameters we had before Marshmallow are still missing.

I just can't understand what the point of do not having the possibility to select the parameters we want to reduce to optimize battery.
You want to keep your vibrations on ? Screw you. You want to dismiss this pinned notification of stamina mode on you lock screen ? Screw you.

It may definitely be easier for developers this way but it still a step back, and it just confirms the losses Sony mobile is having since the last past years.

Still, if you have any solution to dismiss the pinned notification or to adjust a bit better the stamina mode, I'm all ready to listen to you.

We shouldn't have to choose between battery and efficiency of use.
ErikEngerd1
Visitor

I experienced the weirdest thing lately. When I created an appointment in the web interface of google calendar I was expecting it to get synchronized to my phone, but it didn't. Also manually syncing did not work (Settings/Accounts/Google/ menu item 'sync now').

It turns out that stamina mode disables syncing completely. So even when the screen is on and an explicit sync is attempted.  The error message is "sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly.". 

But luckily,  for contacts and the calendar there is a fix. Just go to Settings/Apps, settings/Battery Optimization, "All Others" tab. Then add 'Google Calendar Sync' and 'Google Contacts Sync' to the list of non-optimized apps. 

Without these settings, synchronization will only take place when the phone is being charged because then stamina mode is turned off. 

With these settings I still have a problem syncing 'Google News & Weather' and even adding "Google play newsstand" to the list of non-optimized apps doesn't help. I can only sync news & weather when the phone is being charged. 

I think this behavior of Stamina mode is definitely different from what it was on Lollipop. Perhaps they can fix these problems in a next firmware update. 

RuneJ
Contributor

The new build 32.2.A.0.224 came OTA today in Norway, and Stamina Mode is back! Same with Ultra Stamina. Slightly_smiling_Face

Damo7
Visitor

Hi RuneJ,

With 6.0.1 update battery slightly improved, but not good when you compare to Lollipop or Kit kit. Sony has to take back of words saying of two days of battery life. Hardly will get only one full day with continues WIFI on without mobile data and with 2G signal. 

Is any can share how to downgrade from Marshmallow to lollipop/kit kit. I would like to downgrade due to very poor battery life with Marshmallow update and sony not worked properly with Stamina mode of what we had earlier. 

I request sony... please don't say or advertise saying two days of battery life. Thank you.