Join now - be part of our community!

viewing word attachments from emails

SOLVED
Not applicable

viewing word attachments from emails

Hi,

I've had some Word (doc, etc) attachments send to me via email and when i click on it it says 'cannot view attachment'. How do i view them? I have downloaded OpenOffice reader from the Market but can't see how that works.

many thanks Deborah

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
suze
Leader

Delighted that you got there in the end! Well done and happy emailing. xx

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
suze
Leader

My X10 large came with OfficeSuite on it but there was a link in the Product Blog for the mini users to download it

http://blogs.sonyericsson.com/products/category/applications/page/2/

This may help you with what you need.

If you have saved the documents to your SD card the OfficeSuite should let you open your file on your SD card where it is saved.  That said it might also help to have a file manager app, something like Astro is free from the Market and very good.  You can then locate your file save locations too and tap on it and it will be opened by OfficeSuite. (This has worked for me on .pdf / excel & word docs)

Not applicable

Hi Suze,

The problem is when i tap on the attachment it wont let me do anything with it, it just says 'cannot view attachment', that's if it's a word doc, excel file or pdf file. I was sent a jpg attachment and i could see that!

Any ideas?

Thanks Deborah

suze
Leader

Hmmm, if you long press on the attachment does it give you an option to save to SD card or open.... or anything?  What does pressing menu (left hardware key) give you? Any options for save or maybe a More key.

I have literally just updated my X8 software with a new firmware release, like 5 minutes ago and haven't got the email set up, well got no apps or contacts either!! I will get it organised and see if I can reproduce the problem.  Maybe it just doesn't like jpeg files in the mail app but as that is a really standard file format I'd be surprised if it didn't. (Edit note to self read question properly!)

Anyway.... I shall return.

Not applicable

Hi

No, nothing from a long tap, nothing comes up at all and nothing from the menu key either.

I can see the jpg file but can't save it or anything and all other formats i cant even see

suze
Leader

Still faffing around downloading all my apps, but it occured to me as I pressed install for K-9... have you tried a third party mail app like K-9 or Maildroid.  They do seem to give you more options than the stock apps.  Both mentioned are free and very similar - I am just a girl who grew up in the UK in the 70's so the icon on K-9 appealled to me Winking_Face

suze
Leader

Right, having just sorted my phone out and got my email to eventually sign in I have just sent myself an excel file and it auto opened in OfficeSuite but there is no option that I can see to save the file to my phone.  I am just about to set up K9 and repeat the test.

As I thought, you get the choice of open or save on K-9... open brings the document up in OfficeSuite again and save saves it to your SD card.

Not applicable

Hi Suze,

Thanks for your help with all this... had family drama so just sorting this out now hence delay!

I've got K9 and the trial app of OfficeSuite, is the actual one free and if so where can i get it from?

All okay now,... except for the sending of files. I can't send emails from K9 but i can from the app that came with the phone. I have put all the same server settings in the 'sending mail' outgoing server bit as i had in the phones settings but it just says 'error sending email'. Did you have any probs with this?

Many thanks Deborah

suze
Leader

Hey Deborah... sorry about the family drama, but family comes before tech any day of the week! Hope all is more settled now.

If you can't send it is more likely your to be something to do with the settings.  Who is your email provider? Have you taken the settings from their help pages?  Sometimes the apps put in default port numbers or maybe even a simple spelling is wrong.  The phone on my UK Blueyonder account has to have smtp and pop3 over typed rather than 'mail' which it defaulted to.

Not applicable

I use Virgin which uses the TMobile network. I've used the same settings as before which were for my hotmail account,

smtp server - smtp.live.com

security type - none

port- 25

just always says 'failed to send some messages'