Join now - be part of our community!

viewing word attachments from emails

SOLVED
Not applicable

viewing word attachments from emails

Hi,

I've had some Word (doc, etc) attachments send to me via email and when i click on it it says 'cannot view attachment'. How do i view them? I have downloaded OpenOffice reader from the Market but can't see how that works.

many thanks Deborah

16 REPLIES 16
suze
Leader

Try security ssl preferred and see if that does it.  So does your email end @virgin or do you mean that your phone carrier is Virgin (or both!) blueyonder is owned by virgin so your settings should be the same/similar to mine.

You could also try the following for UK virginmedia settings.

In the Advanced tab, configure the following settings:

Outgoing mail (SMTP)

This server requires a secure connection (SSL)

Ticked

Incoming mail (POP3)

This server requires a secure connection (SSL)

Ticked

suze
Leader

Sorry laptop crashed halfway through, was trying to type that if you are talking about hotmail accounts, not virgin accounts then you need to have these settings....

To setup mail client to access Windows Live Hotmail account, use the following Hotmail POP3 and SMTP configuration settings:

Incoming Server (POP3 Server): pop3.live.com
Incoming Server POP Port: 995
Incoming Server POP SSL Encryption: Yes (On or Required)

Outgoing Server (SMTP Server): smtp.live.com
Outgoing Server SMTP Port: 25
Outgoing Server Authentication: Yes (On – Use POP username and password or Hotmail credentials)
Outgoing Server TLS or SSL Secure Encrypted Connection: Yes (On or Required)

Again SSL must be ticked or select when available.

Hope it helps!

Not applicable

I have 2 email accounts, one with hotmail ending in hotmail.co.uk and one with my host for my company deborah@butlersystems.com. Both of which were sending fine with the app with the phone but neither will send now but they both receive okay. Weird!

The phone carrier is virgin and they seem to be using the tmobile network.

I tried changing the settings and it's still the same, driving me mad!!

suze
Leader

Little bit more info from another source, seems like its the authorisations that might be causing an issue...

Find below the Hotmail POP3 and SMTP Settings information, to configure your preferred e-mail client:

• POP server: pop3.live.com (Port 995)
  • POP SSL required? Yes
  • User name: Your Windows Live ID, for example yourname@hotmail.com
  • Password: The password you usually use to sign in to Hotmail or Windows Live
  • SMTP server: smtp.live.com (Port 25) {Note: If port 25 has been blocked in your network or by your ISP, you can set SMTP port to 587 with TLS or SSL Encryption depending on the client in use}
  • Authentication required? Yes (this matches your POP username and password)
  • TLS/SSL required? Yes

As mentioned above, make sure to check the box that indicates that your outgoing server requires authentication as in most e-mail clients, this is not checked by default. Also, Hotmail POP3 service requires that you use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) with the POP and SMTP connection and use SMTP authentication. This is to ensure that your e-mail address and password are not subject to tampering.

Read more: http://techblissonline.com/hotmail-pop3-and-smtp-settings/#ixzz1FMGcacvj

suze
Leader

Deborah just set my X8 up with a hotmail account in K-9.  Need to change security to TLS always and it worked OK for me sending myself an email to my laptop. Let me know how you get on.

Not applicable

Hi Suze

Brilliant!!! All working fine now, the hotmail was TLS (always), port 587, authentication: plain with my hotmail address and password (as when i log in) and my other account was just needing the sign in, username and password too.

So many thanks for that.... oh and i've got the proper OfficeSuite Viewer too from mobisystems, so rocking and rolling now Slightly_smiling_Face

suze
Leader

Delighted that you got there in the end! Well done and happy emailing. xx