Join now - be part of our community!

Basic support - X10

SOLVED
Not applicable

Basic support - X10

Some basic info, please.

1. User Guide, phone based: Updated software. After date restore, could not access phone user guide, had to go online.

Followed tip to download & install replacement. Found the original where it should be in phone's folder. (Guides were different sizes.)

Replaced existing guide. Now the user guide logo has disappeared from the list.

How to activate phone based guide?

2. Google mail: Cannot access contact list. If I want to compose an e-mail, I need to know who to send to ahead of time,

And I need to type in the full address each time.

Ideas on how to access contact list?

3. Contact list (phone): I have 1 registered gmail account. When I enter a new contact in the phone, the info

gets replicated to the gmail entry - twicw. Scrolling down the contact entry shows a duplicate entry for the google account.

How to remove the duplicate?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

transfer all the contacts as they are right now to Gmail, and you can continue to modify them on your computer, then you will delete ALL the contacts from your phone so you can sync ONLY gmail contacts (then you can create a backup of your contacts on your phone)

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

2. Google mail: Cannot access contact list. If I want to compose an e-mail, I need to know who to send to ahead of time,

And I need to type in the full address each time.

Ideas on how to access contact list?

I forgot to say, before you start with this, go to:

Phonebook app

Edit all your contacts, yes it's a pain in the ... but it won't be later on, delete duplicates, add emails etc.

there are two simple options for number 2, one you can access your gmail not with the app but with the browser, now scroll to the bottom and it will say Desktop click on it and you will get the same options as if you were using your computer.

option 2.

first you need to sync your contacts from your phone to your gmail.

open your phonebook
press MENU button
-> tap on Send Contacts
-> select all
-> send it to your email
on your computer
-> download the file
-> go to your gmail
-> click on contacts
-> click on more actions
-> on the drop down menu click on "import"
-> choose the file
-> and click import
now you have to sync your contacts from your gmail to your phone
settings
               Account & Sync
                                        tap on Google
                                                            select Sync Contacts/Gmail/etc
                                                             press the MENU button
                                                             tap on Sync Now
once your done with this
go to your Phonebook app
look for a contact that you want to email
tap on their picture/icon
then tap on the envelope
tap on email
select from
               Gmail
               Moxier
               Messaging
                etc

and you're done
profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

3. Contact list (phone): I have 1 registered gmail account. When I enter a new contact in the phone, the info

gets replicated to the gmail entry - twicw. Scrolling down the contact entry shows a duplicate entry for the google account.

How to remove the duplicate?

The reason for this is because you are syncing with multiple accounts

go to

settings

Accounts & Sync

under Manage Accounts tap on each of the accounts you're currently syncing with and select what you want to sync if you follow the steps above do NOT sync contacts with any other account other than Google.

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

Some basic info, please.

1. User Guide, phone based: Updated software. After date restore, could not access phone user guide, had to go online.

Followed tip to download & install replacement. Found the original where it should be in phone's folder. (Guides were different sizes.)

Replaced existing guide. Now the user guide logo has disappeared from the list.

How to activate phone based guide?

I don't quite understand your question

do you want the online guide on your phone? or do you want to "Restore" the user guide on your phone?

http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/support/softwaredownloads/detailed/restoretheuserguideinyourphone/xp...

Restore the User guide in your phone

If you have lost the User guide in your phone when updating the phone software, you can download the User guide to your memory card using a USB cable.

Requirements
  • Internet broadband connection
  • Free hard disk space
  • 1 available USB 2.0 port and USB cable
  • SD card inserted in phone

• File size 23.6 Mb
  • Download time approx. 11 minutes or less on your current connection.

Installation instructions

To restore the User guide in your phone

1. On the phone: Make sure a memory card is inserted in your phone. Connect your phone to a computer using a USB cable.
  2. On the phone: Select Connect your phone.
  3. On the computer: Download the User guide here from the "Download now" button and save it on your computer.
  4. On the computer: Rename the downloaded User guide file to emanual.zip.
  5. On the computer: Wait until the memory card appears as external disks in the file explorer and open the"others" folder. If the "others" folder is missing, create a folder and name it others.
  6. On the computer: Place the downloaded User guide zip file (emanual.zip) in the others folder.

Note: Do not disconnect the USB cable while you are transferring content as this may corrupt the content.

To disconnect the USB cable safely

1. Computer: Use the Safely Remove Hardware function to select the device you want to unplug, then click Stop.
  2. Disconnect the USB cable.
How to use

To access the User guide in your phone

• From the Home screen, find and tap User guide.
Not applicable

Thanks for the tip.

Results:

After the software upgrade, the user guide app still showed on the phone, but I could not access it on the phone.

After reviewing this answer, I downloaded the user guide, renamed it, went to install it in the "others" folder and saw that the user guide was, in fact, there.

I replaced it with the downloaded version, now the app icon has disappeared from the main apps listing.

I did copy the icon to the main screen before replacing the file. That icon still shows, but has a small black text box under it with no text. Tapping on the icon gives me the message:
"Application is not installed on your phone".

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert
Not applicable

regarding the contact list:

before i do any more, can you clarify?

in the beginning, i had the phone contact list with a few entries.

then i added a single gmail account.

after that, when i looked at a contact, i had one set of data fields for the phone list and 2 sets of data for the gmail account.

unfortunately, i synched my contacts using another method that you outlined (brain, brain, don't fail me now) - I (think I) did this from within my gmail account on the computer.

from the entries now in the contact list, i must have provided my regular e-mail address.

i just reviewed my entries on the phone.

now i have some separation.

there seems to be 1 entry for phone contacts & 1 for gmail where there is a name mismatch (e.g. bob = phone entry; bobby = gmail entry)

in some cases there are 1 phone entry and 2 sets of gmail entries like before, in other cases there are 1 phone & 1 gmail.

i would like to straighten all this out to ease finding contacts & using the phone.

what do you suggest? i could remove the account from the phone & start over or ...

thanks

suze
Leader

When you renamed the file did you rename it 'emanual.zip' cos if you did then try renaming it again to just 'emanual' and the .zip is added automatically.  If you use something like LInda file manger it actually shows you the file extensions and if you follow the instructions (which are wrong and have been reported) you will have a file called emanual.zip.zip and the phone just won't see it.

Not applicable

ah, the vagaries of the directory tree.

i will make the change when i get back to my home base.

thanks

suze
Leader

Let us know how you get on!