Join now - be part of our community!

Cybershot DSC-N1

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
richard2012
Visitor

Cybershot DSC-N1

Can anyone tell me why my Cybershot DSC-N1 isn't recognised by Mountain Lion or iphoto11

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello :slight_smile:

I heard back from an experienced Mac user and they share your suspicions that it is an issue with having the latest version of Mountain Lion. He is always very cautious when performing these updates due to issues with USB linked products and he also feels that eventually, once enough 'Beta Users' have tested upcoming versions of the OS, there will be an update that will allow your camera and other similar devices to be found by Mountain Lion. In the meantime, you may have to settle for using the other Mac to obtain the files and then transfer them to your own computer.

He was also very, very, very keen to add that, in his opinion, Macs are still streets ahead of the 'other' option - this was probably more to convert me to his way of thinking than anything else :wink:

Thanks,

Simon

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello richard2012 - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

One quick thing to suggest - have you tried plugging in an external USB card reader and copying the image files over to the hard drive? If so, you should be able to then navigate to the hard drive folder within Mountain Lion or iPhoto and see these files.

Let me know if this works.

Thanks,

Simon

richard2012
Visitor

Hi Simon,

Yes I've tried plugging the memory stick into a card reader, and still nothing. I have 2 more cameras, a Canon and a Panasonic and their SD cards are recognised straight away both in the card reader and the camera.

Apple can't help either, they just say get in touch with Sony.

I just don't want to have to get rid of my Sony camera.

Cheers,

Richard.

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again Richard :slight_smile:

Thanks for the further information. I understand that this can get frustrating sometimes - especially if other people advise you to get in touch with Apple :slight_smile:

Would it be possible for you to insert the memory card into a Windows based PC to a) see if the files are visible on there and b) what the file types are i.e. photo.???

If you can find this out for me, I will contact a fellow forums user who is more Mac savvy than I am to see if there are any possible compatibility issues.

Thanks,

Simon

richard2012
Visitor

Hi Simon,

I haven't been able to try the memory card in a windows PC, but when I plug the camera into my wife's Mac (which is still running Snow Lepoard) it's fine. It shows up straight away. So I'm thinking it must be something to do with the upgrade to Mountain Lion, although Apple are unlikly to admit this. So if the worst comes to the worst we'll just have to put all the photos onto my wifes Mac and she can transfer them to me. Any other ideas would be most welcom though.

Cheers,

Richard.

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again :slight_smile:

Other than what I have already suggested, I am not a Mac owner myself so I am going to get some thoughts from a contact who has a Mac and I will let you know if they have any ideas. My hunch is that it does have something to do with the variant of the Operating System if it is functioning OK on your wife's computer and this is where you could get into a cycle of Sony users / Apple users telling you that the other is to blame.

I will let you know if I hear anything.

Simon

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello :slight_smile:

I heard back from an experienced Mac user and they share your suspicions that it is an issue with having the latest version of Mountain Lion. He is always very cautious when performing these updates due to issues with USB linked products and he also feels that eventually, once enough 'Beta Users' have tested upcoming versions of the OS, there will be an update that will allow your camera and other similar devices to be found by Mountain Lion. In the meantime, you may have to settle for using the other Mac to obtain the files and then transfer them to your own computer.

He was also very, very, very keen to add that, in his opinion, Macs are still streets ahead of the 'other' option - this was probably more to convert me to his way of thinking than anything else :wink:

Thanks,

Simon

richard2012
Visitor

Hi Simon,

Thanks very much for that, it's much appreciated.

Cheers,

Richard.