Join now - be part of our community!

Android Marshmallow No stamina mode

Razorig2
Visitor

Android Marshmallow No stamina mode

Since Marshmallow has replaced Stamina mode, can you selectively choose which apps you want to keep running in the background when the screen is off or does doze just disable all background running apps whilst in idle?

I would really like to know this as I only like getting selected app notifications when the screen is off.
Does doze give you the same amount of freedom to selectively choose which apps to keep running in the background?

I'm still waiting for MM but from what I heard there's quite a few problems with it, anyone who has it, any improvements to the camera performance or is it still poor?
279 REPLIES 279
Wedgie
Visitor

Marshmallow update killing Z5c. I easily used to get 2 days standby in standard stamina mode or 10 days life in ultra stamina mode. So far in Mm I now have to recharge twice a day for the same low usage. This is with no additional calls or any additional excess data use, same as before update. So bitterly disappointed with phone now, and wish I could revert to previous Android version immediately. Avoid Marshmallow. Come on Sony bring back Stamina mode. Mm ain't sweet tasting that's for sure.
Razorig2
Visitor

@Wedgie
Sony are bringing back Stamina mode, it's been confirmedon Sony Japans change log for April's Marshmallow update, we will see the return of apparently an even better and improved version of Stamina mode.
Not sure when Europe and US will be getting the update though, hopefully it all rolls out next month.
ErikEngerd1
Visitor

Do you have a link to the Sony Japan changelog? I am asking because there are sites that mention this changelog, while some also add that it is not that likely anymore thqt stamina will return because of a comment made by Sony (link). There are also sites that mention that google is the culprit here forbidding Sony to include the Stamina feature (link)

As the last link mentions Doze mode will be improved in Android N to be almost identical to Stamina mode, so in a worst case we would have to live with not that good battery life for the next year.

Would be good if Sony could comment on the issue. At least last week I could still brag about the excellent battery life of the xperia but now it is just average. And let's not forget, ultra stamina mode is really a killer feature if you are on a long trip or when battery is running really low.

Razorig2
Visitor

I don't have a link to the change log but I read about it on numerous sites stating the return of Stamina mode next month, I guess all we can do now is wait and see what happens. Also I doubt Doze will ever reach the quality of Stamina mode, luckily I haven't updated to Marshmallow and will not update any further until the bring it back.
Still think it was the dumbest move made by Sony to allow Doze to take over, why fix something which ain't broken?
ErikEngerd1
Visitor

Indeed, I fully agree with you.

The doze feature in android N is going to improve to allow it the user to configure it to start as soon as the screen turns off. That would surely help. But ultra stamina mode or something similar is not going to be part of Android N and that is really a useful feature as well. Let's just hope stamina mode returns. Meanwhile I am also thinking to downgrade back to lollipop if stamina doesn't return. I think that should be possible.
Syncr0s
Visitor

Now I know the Sony forum support team might hate me harping on about this, but I'd be interested in what occurs (give is a day or 3 to adjust) when changing the mobile network to WCDMA as preferred and not LTE.

Before upgrade to MM, on Lollipop I would get about 30 hours from a charge.

After upgrading to MM with defaults (even after a repair) I was getting about 10 hours on a charge.

Changing to WCDMA preferred brought me back to 28 hours charge, within 48 hours of the change.

Almost a week after the change to WCDMA preferred I look like I will be getting over 3 days on a single charge.

Is doze getting smarter about my habits and adjusting the phone's power, I don't know.

I do know that once Sony solve the preceived "issues" and I can use LTE preferred with the same or similar charge time I will be impressed.

Perhaps Ultra Stamina is still a requirement for additional battery savings for those going without power for some time, but perhaps Doze is good enough for the rest of us after the phone and firmware self adjust.

almirsahbaz
Visitor
Sam182
Visitor

I just updated to the new 6.0 Marshmallow in my Z5 Premium and I realised that Stamina modes disappeared. I'd read about a google optimisation called Doze, but we can't touch It because it's integrated in the software. Please, I used to use much the stamina mode, i don't want it disappear.
DrRudd
Visitor

Yesterday I took the phone off the charger at about 1pm and at 22pm I had to charge it again. Before the update that never happened now its the norm.

Syncr0s
Visitor

@DrRudd
See my comment a couple above yours