Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Xperia Z Tablet SGP311 won't start after failed Lollipop update

SOLVED
Ian_S
Visitor

Sony Xperia Z Tablet SGP311 won't start after failed Lollipop update

I cannot get my Sony Xperia Z table SGP311 to start after I allowed it to update with Android Lollipop.

Every time I have the device over the past week I was getting notifications to update. I finally accepted. (I wish I hadn't).

After the update notified me that it was unsuccessfil, I have the following situation:

If I plug in the charger, the indicator light will come on red, and screen will briefly display a charging icon. If I then unplug charger, the red light will go off.

From an 'off' state, charger not plugged in, if I press the Power button until the indicator light blinks blue once, the screen will appear with:

SONY

XPERIA

and then goes back to a blank screen. It will repeat this every 30 seconds.

If I turn off the device by holding Vol+ and the Power button simultaneously and wait for the indicator light to flash 3 times, charger /PC not plugged in (Let me call this state "OFF" for short), and then:

1. From OFF, then try turning on with Vol+ and Power button simultaneously: nothing will happen.

2. From OFF, go to PC Companion on my desktop PC, Support Zone > Phone/Tablet Software Update > Connect: nothing will happen.

3. From OFF, go to PC Companion > Support zone  > Phone/Tablet Software Update > Repair my phone/tablet > Another phone/tablet > select SGP311 > hold Vol- while inserting USB cable from PC, blue inicator light will come on, update process will begin, then terminate with "device update error", so "Retry', but this terminates with "download error", and  "check your internet connection". But there is nothing wrong with my internet connection!

Any more ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ian_S
Visitor

I have finally got the tablet to work.

The solution was to install PC Companion onto my laptop and run the 'Repair my phone/tablet' Device Sodtware Update from there.

Prior to attempting the update, I disabled the firewall and antivirus software, and ensured the tablet was fully charged.

I had overlooked trying a different PC/laptop in my previous attempts, because I thought it was very unlikely to make any difference.

I was wrong, and it made all the difference.

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@Ian_S

Connect the tablet to a wall charger >press and hold power & volume up for 10 seconds > let it charge for 1 hour > after 1 hour > repair it with PCC

on your pc. disable the firewall and any antivirus 

Rickard
Master

Sorry to hear that you have issues with your tablet Slightly_frowning_Face

At step 3 when you try to repair the software in the tablet, make sure that you're holding volume down and not volume up. If the LED is blue is sounds like volume up is being pressed (this is fastboot mode).

Ian_S
Visitor

I added PC Companion to the Firewall exceptions list (Windows 7) and disabled antivirus.

Ran the PC Companion repair again, but it still aborts with an 'Error 100' message.

I am not confident that I can get the battery fully charged, because it is difficult to know what on/off state the tablet is in, and whether charge is recharging the battery or not. Probably was about 95% charged when the problems began, about 10 hours ago.

Not looking good.

Rickard
Master

Before connecting the tablet with volume down pressed for software repair, hold the on/off button and volume up at the same time for at least 10 seconds. Then hold volume down and connect it again.

If this doesn't work, could you try on another PC/internet connection?

Ian_S
Visitor

Thanks for your contributions.

After Pressing Power+Vol-up for 10 secs (during which indicator light gives 1 blue flash then a 5sec pause, then 3 blue flashes in quick succession):

I attempt the PCC repair, by pressing the vol-down (the side of the Volume rocker switch furthest from the Power button) as I simultaneously plug in the cable from the USB port.

When I do this, I see the indicator light flash red momentarily (<0.5sec) and immediately momentarily (<0.5sec) flash green. 

The updater begins but always aborts about 1 minute later with an 'Error 100' message.

I have no other internet connection but I supose the next stage of all this is:

1. Learn all the indicator light colours and flashing sequences so I know what the device is messaging. Is there a code guide I can download?

2. Install PC companion on my laptop and try using that.

Also, how do I know if the device is charging from a wall charger? Will it charge when the device is power-off? Should I see an indicator light, and if so would it be always-on, or only flash or remain on for a certain time after plugging in the charger?

I should never have given in to the nag messages to update the OS. What a headache.

Ian_S
Visitor

This is still not resolved. The tablet still does not work.

What is Sony's position on this? I was nagged to update the operating system. I did so by following the steps instructed. The result is a non-functioning device. I have followed the advice offered here on this support forum, without success. The tablet is still kaput. What can Sony do about this?

Thanks to those who have contributed.

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@Ian_S

It'll be wise to stop by your local Xperia Care

http://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/contactUs/

Rickard
Master

I'm afraid this sounds like a hardware issue in your tablet but if possible, i recommend that you also try to repair the software fro another PC and see if that works and solves the issue.

If not i recommend that you contact a service location or your local support team for assistance with having your tablet repaired.

Ian_S
Visitor

I have finally got the tablet to work.

The solution was to install PC Companion onto my laptop and run the 'Repair my phone/tablet' Device Sodtware Update from there.

Prior to attempting the update, I disabled the firewall and antivirus software, and ensured the tablet was fully charged.

I had overlooked trying a different PC/laptop in my previous attempts, because I thought it was very unlikely to make any difference.

I was wrong, and it made all the difference.

Tags (1)