Join now - be part of our community!

Slight hissing sound when in noise cancelling

andymacv
New

Slight hissing sound when in noise cancelling

Does anyones WH-1000XM2 headphones have a slight sound in them when on noise cancelling?  For me it sounds like a very very distant waterfall.

Tags (1)
33 REPLIES 33
profile.country.GB.title
EdwinaU

Hi, thanks for joining and reaching out to the community.
If anyone has had experience of this you will hopefully get some feedback soon. Meanwhile, I'll flag your post to our team to see if it's something they've come across before or can advise you about.

Cheers,
EdwinaU

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @andymacv,

if you are talking about the headphones in "idle" (no sound is played, the headphones are just switched on, noise cancelling activated and they are connected to an analog audio source via the 3.5mm audio cable), I can confirm a very quiet inherent noise on my WI-1000X headphones, which is due to the analog source.

For being connected via bluetooth and sitting on idle, I can not hear any noise at all.

I hope this was helpful :slight_smile:

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Sonyvores
Contributor

That's normal, it's the inherent issue with noise cancelling technology if you have good ears.

profile.country.GB.title
mofo911
Explorer

I have the excact same problem. It seems that the sound is louder on the right side (I tried putting on the headphones the wrong way and the problem moved to the left).

Where I work lots of people use active NC headphones so I compared to sennheiser px550 and Bose QC35II.

While sony's have way better NC than the px550 and are just about equivalent to the QC35II, it is clear the hissing sound is only present in the sony headphones. I will try to get a replacement from the retailer I bought them from to see if that helps.

profile.country.GB.title
mofo911
Explorer

I went to the store where I got the headset. The clerk at store acknowledged that there was a hissing sound and that it was worse i on ear. The store replaced my headphones, and while there is still some audible white noise, the new set is much better.

Jarv_04
Explorer

Same issue here on my right earpiece. As described, its like a distant waterfall or similar to the wooshing sound you can get when on the phone and slightly windy, like a low intermited noise (seems to come and go). Something to do wtih the noicecancelling correcting im guessing because only happens when is activated.

And yes i am aware that nc headphones introduce a whitenoise as a byproduct-for lack of words- This noise is overtop of it. 

Anyone had updates on it as an issue??

wvl1708
New

I compared Bose qc35ii and there is no hissing sound with noise canceling active, so it should not be needed. I read that an fitmware update resolved this for the bose Headphones . I hope Sony can do the same as this would make the wh 1000xm2 a lot better. 

profile.country.GB.title
Brecht23
New

I have the same issue. I can hear it through the music and, in silent environments, the hissing is sometimes more intense than the noise it actually cancels.

The weird thing is, when I activate the noise cancelling optimizer (by pressing the noise cancelling button a bit longer), I hear between the beeps that it is possible for the noise cancelling to function perfectly without the white noise. So this must be an issue that an update might be able to solve.

I will also go back to the retailer to get a new pair in the hopes that this will resolve the issue. I did not pay that amount of money to be annoyed by white noise. 

profile.country.NO.title
Erblinium
Explorer

I also get this effect, but only when the the headset are prioritized on a stable connection.

When changing to sound quality priority the hissing is completely gone, so I would suggest just try if this works.