Join now - be part of our community!

Slight hissing sound when in noise cancelling

andymacv
New

Slight hissing sound when in noise cancelling

Does anyones WH-1000XM2 headphones have a slight sound in them when on noise cancelling?  For me it sounds like a very very distant waterfall.

Tags (1)
33 REPLIES 33
Dazburn
Explorer

Also the same problem here. Only got them yesterday and for that money I'd expect perfection. Returning them.

profile.country.GB.title
Richo21
Explorer

So I had the same problem on a pair of xm2's that I have just bought. Turns out if you download the Sony Headphone Connect app you can change the settings, I've played around a bit and managed to get rid off the hissing. Turns out it's pretty easy. I'm just hoping it works for you guys. 

Open the app

Connect your headphones via it

Go to the adaptive sound control setting and click the cog to open the advanced settings

Then there are two options: 

1. Use the slider to adjust the ambient sound setting. For me ambient sound 1 eradicated the distant waterfall issue - but you can play around. There's tonnes of settings; which can be adjusted for all the different environment profiles. 

2. Turn off ambient sound control. 

Good luck. . Keep me posted. 

Sinbad200
Explorer

Exact same problem here, priority on sound quality, connected via LDAC, no analogue connection, firmware 4.1.1

Tags (1)
profile.country.GB.title
Gosastgm
New

I have the same problem with my Xm3....

This sound is annoying to say the least... Especially for the money payed.

If sony doesn't fix this soon I'm selling this and getting a bose which has no hissing sound. 

I can confirm that on Ambient control 1 the hiding sound goes away... So it's definetely sonys programing fault 

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Gosastgm,

@Gosastgm  schrieb:

I can confirm that on Ambient control 1 the hiding sound goes away... So it's definetely sonys programing fault 

from that sentence it seem you are looping ambient audio trough the headphones (meaning the audio the NC mics pic up gets not cancelled but played on the earphones, which is a mode you can use if you don't want to block out the sound around you) when experiencing the hissing. Try deactivating "adaptive sound control" and sliding the "Ambient Sound" slider to the far left.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Gosastgm
New

I'm on noise canceling and I can still hear the hissing.... It only goes away if I turn noise canceling off or if I put noise canceling to Ambient sound 1 and above untill lvl 20 

When on noise canceling and wind noise reduction I get waterfall sound... It's getting fraustrating 

profile.country.GB.title
ishming
Explorer

My WX 10000 M3 headphones are making a noise in right ear. Noise cancelling on.  It’s very unacceptable.  

Tags (1)
profile.country.GB.title
ishming
Explorer

Happening on Bluetooth for me. But it’s not a continuous hiss. It’s varying even though I’m sitting still. Right side only. Confirmed by wife. 

profile.country.GB.title
ishming
Explorer

Did replacements help??

profile.country.GB.title
treinoslunares
New

Mine arrive yesterday and immediatly I detected this problem. It's on the right side. It's something that starts, slight hiss on the background very remote, then stops, then after a few seconds restarts, hisses very very low (but still audible) then repeats. This is only noticeble without music and NC on. 

Didn't had much time with it to fully understand how annoying this will be. Still deciding if I return it or not. But if it's by design, as you say, it's no use to change for another unit. It will be a matter of live with it, or without... ;(