Join now - be part of our community!

Web Browser

SOLVED
profile.country.nl_NL.title
labtess
Visitor

Web Browser

I live in Holland and recently acquired a Sony Bravia KDL-46ex521.  Although l can access Youtube and other content I cannot seem to find anyway of actually get on the web. When I press the WWW option it goes to Sony's own site and I cannot find anywhere where I can enter a URL.  It is advertised as offering this option, so would like to know if anyone else has had similar problems in trying to access the web.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_GB.title
geturne14
Explorer

I had to phone Sony customer service to find out. After first denying that there was a web browser at all, they told me:

Press Options then cursor down to URL entry.

Given that it's so painful entering web addresses via the remote control, I'd strongly recommend use of the "Add Bookmark" feature as well.

It doesn't seem possible to change the home page from the Sony one (there's another thread about that somewhere), and I also always use Zoom In.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
geturne14
Explorer

I had to phone Sony customer service to find out. After first denying that there was a web browser at all, they told me:

Press Options then cursor down to URL entry.

Given that it's so painful entering web addresses via the remote control, I'd strongly recommend use of the "Add Bookmark" feature as well.

It doesn't seem possible to change the home page from the Sony one (there's another thread about that somewhere), and I also always use Zoom In.

labtess
Visitor

Thanks for the information.

I too eventually managed to get hold of Sony, who confirmed that there is a webbrowser function on my model.  Apparently (although haven't had time to check it yet) he said that I should go as far as possible to the top of the Sony (automatically linked) webpage, where the browser entry box is situated. I would have never have come across it if it hadn't been pointed out.

I guess the Zoom in function will be handy for that.

They advised they are bringing out a sort of mini keyboard for use with their browser, but they are not sure if it is the shops yet!  It is a bit of a pain entering sms style.

Happy viewing!

Catmambo
Contributor

There is a smartphone app for Android and iPhone which I think allows you to enter text on your handset instead. If you search for Sony Media Remote or Media Remote on either of the stores it should pop up.

Thanks

labtess
Visitor

I get the impression from Sony Customer Service (in Holland) that they did not give the right advice.

After contacting them about the above problem, they said I should return the tv set for repair as I, the client,could not accept their solution.  That would have cost lots of hassle, time and money to do that and it was of course totally the wrong solution.

All they should have advised (as you did) was to use options key possibility  It is indeed rather laborious typing the urls in but the bookmark option helps.

Strange that Sony in Austria whom I contacted after my attempt with Sony Netherlands immediately came up with the right answer to the problem!

So anyway the browser does work ok when you know how to access it!

thanks for your input on this