Join now - be part of our community!

BDP S370 DLNA help

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
highlander317
Visitor

BDP S370 DLNA help

Bought a BDP S370 yesterday, I have it all connected to the internet via a pair of powerline connectors to my speedtouch modem router. I can connect to all the internet apps on the unit but am struggling to use the DLNA feature. Ive tried WMP12 as im using win 7, XMP, Tversity, Wild Media server and am still unable to get the pc to find the sony.

In my router settings I can see sony player but no where else on the pc or in networking

Anyone please please help me?

28 REPLIES 28
bl00ray
Visitor

I have the BDP-S570 and I suspect the user interface is very similar.

I found the user interface is not intuitive: to get to browse playable videos, you need to go through the top-level videos folder, confusing for me as I have subfolders labelled videos on the server which would show nothing when I went via the wrong icon.

Remember that the BDP-S370 will only stream certain formats and this does not include all the formats available via USB stick.  I believe Windows Media Player, when acting as a DLNA server would encode on the fly to MPEG2 (which is supported) but does this require some setup?

To test, I suggest you put a good DivX AVI file into your shared folder and see if the BDP-S370 can see that.  MP4 is not supported but DivX and xvid are.   MPEG2 is supported.

There are some applications by "Cidero" which allow you to simulate a client on your network i.e. you could check whether Windows Media Player is doing what you want.

Also, why don't you go into setup and check the IP for the SOny, then ping that IP from the Windows machine.  If so you know your problem is _probably_ not at network / router level, but application level.

Dave

highlander317
Visitor

Tried a ping test all was ok. Tried using serviio again and still nothing. Wmp still nothing. selected the external drive but still get nothing. Tried to get cidero but couldnt get it site was down

gofrost

mezzmo seems to be best dlna server software when using xmb you have to be in correct icon ie to watch video you have to open folder under video icon to view photo's under photo icon and so on but this dlna software doe's not play every type of file extension it pays to have quality hubs/routers and connectors as well with my set up i can open any file using dlna and watch live tv using papif still having problems use factory reset on panel /router/ blu ray player as dlna is a set standard

Message was edited by: gofrost

profile.country.fr_FR.title
sletonqu
New

Try the SPY Intel tools to diagnose your UPnP network and see if Sony BDP appears in device list: http://opentools.homeip.net/dev-tools-for-upnp

KDL-46EX501, BDP-S373, SMP-N100, Serviio.org
peteralmgill
Visitor

I had to give up using the powerline style ethernet plugs as, after several hours of sifting packet trace logs, they don't seem to pass the SSDP packets used by the UPNP servers to advertise themselves.

Have tou tried it with a long ethernet cable?

Peter

highlander317
Visitor

Just tried a long cable across the room with no joy at all. Tried the upnp software also got nothing on that.

What port number should it be sharing on?

profile.country.fr_FR.title
sletonqu
New

For Serviio, make sure you open TCP 8895 and UDP 1900 ports in firewall.

KDL-46EX501, BDP-S373, SMP-N100, Serviio.org
highlander317
Visitor

Added the ports to my firewall. Now get an extra icon on blu ray saying data dvd in pic, music and vids but nothing in any folders under any headings

Catmambo
Contributor

Did you follow the setup instructions? What folders have you shared on the Serviio console? You have to specify what you want to share....

thanks

highlander317
Visitor

Installed as the website says and chose to share some music files and vids as a test still nothing