Join now - be part of our community!

Very High JPEG compression - HX9V

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Radeon123
Explorer

Very High JPEG compression - HX9V

I love this camera but JPEG  compression on this camera, it's far too high and this is causing JPEG  compression noise. The average file size is only around 2.5mb to around  3.8mb which is far too low for a 16mp sensor. My last Sony, the DSC-P200  7mp ultra compact averaged 2.5mb to 3.5mb on the "fine" JPEG setting.

This camera does not give you an option to set the compression  from "standard" or "fine", even my last Sony, the DSC-P200 ultra  compact from 2005 had this feature so why is this basic feature missing  on a top of the range compact from 2011.

We, the HX9V owners  would like Sony to add this simple feature back that was taken away with  a firmware update to correct this simple issue, your competitors offer  this setting so why don't you?

http://www.facebook.com/Sony.HX9V

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

You will have a long wait - this is a user forum for mutual self help - it is not a Sony Support channel.  Although they may occasionally read the posts here, they will not reply.

However, this point has been raised several times before and it has been escalated to the Support Team.  We will have to wait to see!

If you want to add your weight to the campaign - click on Support at the top of this page and select 'Contact Sony Support'.

https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/695965#695965

https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/713613#713613

There are plenty more if you type HX9V into the 'Search' box.

:thinking:

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
kenneve
New

I absolutely agree with this post, certainly my old Nikon D50 with it's 6mp sensor returns a file size, much larger than the HX9V, which I think proves the point.

While we are at it, can we also have a facility to reduce the amount of noise reduction and maybe be given the opportunity to save files in RAW.

It's obvious from the foregoing that photo results could be far better than they are. The G series lens is superb for a camera of this type, but is let down by poor focusing in bad light/indoor conditions, when it struggles to find the optimum focus point.

On the plus side I think the video quality is superb and easily matches standard broadcast TV

I'm certain that all these points could easily be addressed by Sony with a simple firmware update, but I'm afraid

on past experience of Sony Technical backup, I won't be holding my breath!!

It will be interesting to see how long it takes Sony to reply to this post.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

You will have a long wait - this is a user forum for mutual self help - it is not a Sony Support channel.  Although they may occasionally read the posts here, they will not reply.

However, this point has been raised several times before and it has been escalated to the Support Team.  We will have to wait to see!

If you want to add your weight to the campaign - click on Support at the top of this page and select 'Contact Sony Support'.

https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/695965#695965

https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/713613#713613

There are plenty more if you type HX9V into the 'Search' box.

:thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
Thomas789
Visitor

I don't know why some people complain about the high compression here. This is completely unsubstantiated. I have the HX9V for about 6 weeks now, and I have not noted any compression artifacts. My file sizes are about 3-6 mb depending on the scene, and that is consistent with a quality setting of the JPEG compression of 97% (one can estimate the quality factor by re-compressing the image; if the file size stays the same, then this is the factor the original file was saved with in the camera). I have never seen any image deterioration for a JPEG quality factor below 85%; and only if one goes below 50%, will the artifacts be a serious issue.

It is also incorrect to draw conclusions here from compression factors in cameras with a much lower pixel count: if one has twice the number of pixels in an image, then there is also twice the probability that two pixels are the same, so the image can be compressed more without losing any information (just create a 1000x1000 image with a uniform colour in your photo editor, if you save this as a JPEG, it will result in a 6KB file regardless of the JPEG quality chosen; this compression is thus lossless, as is a large amount in a normal photo where many pixels will be identical).

If you want to have reliable test shots to compare with different cameras, just go to http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM . I made my decision to buy the HX9V on the basis of this, as the image quality outperforms all other compact cameras I compared it with. It even can compete with some entry level DSLR's like the EOS1100D as far as the image quality is concerned.

Thomas

profile.country.nl_NL.title
SA_koremans
Visitor

I have had this CAM for two days now and I have professional imaging experience

I expected very high quality as well as rather large Image files approaching 5 megabytes each

File size is approx 3.0 megs and MANY JPEG ARTIFACTS are found in the image it looks like ****.

At first glance it seems not that the JPEG compression is bad but some internal processing method causes JPEG artifacts.

Look at edges of well luminated dashboard details of attached sample!

1080p50hz AVCHD video is perfect by the way so the must be a codec issue.

I WILL RETURN THIS CAMERA TO THE SHOP if it keeps delivering this kind of image quality, I am sorry folks, coming from a DSC-S75 I am NOT a spoiled brad which expects too much!

Will be checking every available setting coming two days as I read the post from this guy above..

If sloppy settings caused these complaints message will be rectified.

16 Megapixels....i don't know..

Just very disappointed

profile.country.es_ES.title
totos1234
Visitor

Sony DSC-HX9V must receive a firmware update...

1) JPEG compression is very hard and results in a very disapointed images. Sony, please, add an option to try no-jpeg compression, low-jpeg compression, medium-jpeg compression and hard-jpeg compression(like now)

2) and please, desactive in the AUTO mode (green option in camera wheel) the Noise Reduction (NR) to take more sharp images (no more painted-like photos, please!)

3) Add an option to save in RAW format, please!

Thanks in advance for considerate my opinion.

Totos.