Join now - be part of our community!

DSC-HX9V - suggestions for changes

profile.country.sr_YU.title
zipsilon
Visitor

DSC-HX9V - suggestions for changes

I am user of Sony products for many years. I have tried HX9V it in shop. As user that pay attention on ergonomics and functionality (I'm not expert in photography and video) I'd like to suggest some tips for changes in new model in order to make absolutely best buy model in market.

Important changes:
- Move flash away from edge. There should be place for fingers of left hand;
- Enable much better wind noise reduction;
- Enable variable zoom speed (like on camcorders), or at least make possibility to change zoom speed through menu;
- Reduce time of zoom button to response;
- Reduce zoom motor noise in order not to record it while zooming in video recording;
- Reduce time to standby for first shot;
- Move charging port to the side of camera (like on SONY HX100V);
- Make more comfortable to use red button for video recording (easier to start recording);
- Reduce time to start GPS and make many worldwide points in camera (like on PANASONIC ZS10/TZ20);
- Increase resolution of pictures made while video recording from 3Mpix to minimum 8Mpix;
- Reduce energy consumption in order to increase battery autonomy;

- Enable screen to turn off while longer static video recording in order to save energy;
- Increase the speed for battery charging via USB port (USB port can provide max 500 mA). The charging time should not exceed 3 hours;
- Increase the speed for battery charging by means of charger so that the charging time should not exceed 2.5 hours;
- Because of real approx. 60min of autonomy for video recording it's necessary to use extra batteries. It should be enabled battery charging on a separate charger;
- Reduce the thickness of camera or make display to be removable as on the Sony HX100V (overall thickness should not exceed 34 mm).

Minor changes that are welcome:
- Extend the length of the video footage from 29min to unlimited;
- There should be a plastic ring on hand strap which could lead to reduce the possibility of accidently fall off the camera;
- Enable firmware updates

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.en_GB.title
Mick2011
New

Hi zipsilon, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

Your post makes for an interesting review of the HX9V. The handstrap suggestion is something I often wish for with my daughter, as she has trouble keeping the strap from slipping over her small hands. I ususally just tie a knot, but a rubber sleeve would be much neater.

With regard to the other two 'Minor changes' you mention, the 30 minute restriction is actually imposed to sidestep an odd EU law which places a higer import tax on camcorders than cameras. As the law recognises a camcorder to be any camera capable of more than 30 mins continuous video recording, Sony restricts many of its video-enabled cameras to under 30 mins. Users can obviously stop/start recording before that time, but it is, I agree, a crazy situation.

As to firmware, there are widespread calls for a firmware upgrade for the HX9V but to date there has been no announcement from Sony. With luck, some of your suggestions – and others mentioned on this thread that might interest you – might be implemented.

Fingers crossed :wink:

Mick

profile.country.es_ES.title
totos1234
Visitor

Sony DSC-HX9V must receive a firmware update...

1) JPEG compression is very hard and results in a very disapointed images. Sony, please, add an option to try no-jpeg compression, low-jpeg compression, medium-jpeg compression and hard-jpeg compression(like now)

2) and please, desactive in the AUTO mode (green option in camera wheel) the Noise Reduction (NR) to take more sharp images (no more painted-like photos, please!)

3) Add an option to save in RAW format, please!

Thanks in advance for considerate my opinion.

Totos.