Join now - be part of our community!

How to factory reset a DSC-WX150?

profile.country.GB.title
yellowtriumph77
New

How to factory reset a DSC-WX150?

How do I factory reset my brand new DSC-WX150? I bought it from Jessops (in a brand new sealed box), but obviously the staff had taken it out of the box at some stage and taken a few pictures inside the store! Naughty I know, but I'm sure the camera is ok and I don't want the long journey back to the store. I'm sure if I could just return it to the factory settings it would ok.

Now that it has been 'used', I'm concerned as to how to download the onboard software to my pcthat will then allow me to download material between the pc and the camera etc, I'm sure a simple factory reset would be best - but how to do it, please?

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.en_GB.title
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello yellowtriumph - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

First of all, if you ever need to redownload the software it is available on the official Sony support page which can be found here:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/DSC-WX150/updates

For resetting the camera back to the factory defaults, this can be done within the main menu. The steps are described on this page of the online user guide under the 'Initialise/Initialize' feature:

http://esupport.sony.com/docs/dvimag/DSCWX100_WX150_guide/en/contents/06/03/06/06.html#l2_initialize

Thanks,

Simon

profile.country.GB.title
yellowtriumph77
New

Many thanks for your helpful advice Simon.

My previous camera was the excellent DSC-WX1. That model had the user 'intelligent' setting which made the camera pretty much 'hands off' for most of the time - which is the mode we like most of all !

Would I be correct in assuming that the 'Scene recognition' mode would be the nearest equivalent on the WX150? We woud like to use our new camera in 'hands off' mode as much as we can - we tend to take very much 'spur of the moment' pictures rather than 'set pieces to camera' etc.  Regards, yt.

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again :slight_smile:

The scene recognition will take out a lot of this guesswork for you but as with anything, I would encourage you to experiment with the various features of this camera and just see what works for you. At least in this age of photo software you can always make some adjustments later if you make a little mistake at some point.

I would also suggest going through the online user guide at length as it does explain all of these features fully - it may be useful when working out just exactly how 'hands off' you wish to be with the camera or if you wish to give it a little 'nudge' when taking certain types of picture :slight_smile:

Thanks,

Simon

profile.country.GB.title
yellowtriumph77
New

Oh Simon - more trouble.

I am trying to insert a Sony Memory stick into the body of the camera and it will not go in! I have double/triple checked it is orientated the correct way - but it simply will not go in. I do not want to force it. Any help appreciated. Regards, yt.

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again :slight_smile:

This is the full list of memory cards that are compatible with your camera (taken from the support website):

Recording Media

Memory Stick™ Duo / Memory Stick PRO Duo™ / Memory Stick PRO Duo™ (high speed) / Memory Stick PRO HG Duo™ / Memory Stick Micro* / Memory Stick Micro (mark 2)*

What is the precise text/wording on the memory card that you are trying to insert?

Thanks,

Simon

profile.country.GB.title
yellowtriumph77
New

It is light mauve in colour, and simply says on it the words: Sony : 128MB : Memory stick. It has the Sony memory stick symbol on it that appears to match the symbol on the camera lid where the card is to be inserted. On the reverseside  of the stick is the lock slide switch.

It is a brand new memory stick, I have used these in the Sony professional range of broadcast cameras so i am happy that it is a genuine sony product and fits ok in other Sony (professional) products. Thanks for your continuing help - it is very much appreciated. Regards, yt.

profile.country.GB.title
yellowtriumph77
New

I took the camera back to the shop.

It turns out the memory stick I was trying to insert into it was not the correct one even though it is a current product and is a sony memory stick. The proper memory stick obviously fitted ok, but curiously was a bit stiff to actually go in and eject.

Jessops were happy to replace the camera completely and demonstrated the replacement camera to my satisfaction. Top marks to Jessops for their after sales service.

Thanks for your help, regards yt.

Message was edited by: yellowtriumph77