Join now - be part of our community!

Cyber-shot HX20V - focus/metering mode

profile.country.en_GB.title
davies1909
Visitor

Cyber-shot HX20V - focus/metering mode

I have recently purchased a Cyber-shot HX20V, having previously been an avid user of the DSC-P200.

My problem with the HX20V is understanding how to change the settings (when needed), from the default modes of Multi-AF Focus and Multi Metering mode.

The illustrated manual states the procedure is MENU > (Focus) >  desired mode; and MENU > (Metering Mode) > desired mode.

When I press the MENU button on the camera, there is no icon displayed entitled (Focus), or (Metering Mode).

I should be grateful if someone would kindly describe to me in plain English, the steps I need to take to change these settings if the occasion should arise.  Usually I can understand these manuals, but this procedure has got me stumped!

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello davies1909 - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

I have found in the past that it can be far more useful to look at the online user guides that are provided on the USA Sony website. For your model of camera, it is located here:

http://esupport.sony.com/docs/dvimag/DSCHX20V_HX30_HX30V_guide/en/

I usually point people in the direction of these user guides as they are nicely laid out for each particular feature of the camera and they usually give precise instructions about how to locate these in the menu. For the focus methods in particular, there is further information located here:

http://esupport.sony.com/docs/dvimag/DSCHX20V_HX30_HX30V_guide/en/contents/04/02/21/21.html

Each focus mode is detailed with diagrams that you may also find useful.

Thanks,

Simon

davies1909
Visitor

Dear Simon,

Thank you for your kind message of welcome to the Sony Forums, and the two links to to the online user guides.

Unfortunately, it is referring to these online user guides that is causing me the problem.  They are not specific in their discription of what needs to be done.  This is the advice for the following: -

1. MENU (Focus) desired mode

When you click on the MENU button on the camera, there is no icon displayed for the second step (Focus).  I find this bewildering and mystifying.  How does one click on the icon (Focus), if it is not displayed in the camera drop down MENU?

I am sorry to cause a problem with this issue, but I would appreciate a clear and concise interpretation of what Sony mean with the above illustration.

I do appreciate your assistance in trying to resolve the problem raised.

Regards,

Message was edited by: davies1909

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again :slight_smile:

If the option isn't appearing in the menu, it may be because the mode dial on the top of the camera needs to be set to a different position. What mode do you have it set to at the moment?

If you try moving it into one of the other more manual settings, this may allow you to access the focus methods.

Thanks,

Simon

davies1909
Visitor

Hello Simon,

So far I have only used the Intelligent Auto mode.  However, when I next visit a stately home, or the interior of a Cathedral, it is my intention of switching off the automatic flash, and use the Superior Auto mode, when hopefully the low-light sensitive lens will enable me to take some worthy photographs.  I thought perhaps whilst in the latter mode, I may find the necessity to switch to the Centre AF frame function, to pinpoint a particular subject matter.

Following your reference to the mode settings, my mind is jumping ahead.  Is it not possible to alter the Metering Mode and Focus Mode whilst in the Intelligent Auto or Superior Auto Modes?  If you have to perform the settings in say the manual mode, will they still hold when you switch back to the Intelligent or Superior Modes.  None of these issues appear to be covered or touched upon in the various pages of the online guide that I have read.  However, it is not inconceivable that I may have missed something covering this operational aspect.

Thank you for your patience and time in trying to help me with this technical issue.

Regards,

Mick2011
New

Hi :slight_smile:

As Simon pointed out, you won't see all possible options in the 'easy' automatic modes. It's also worth remembering that Intelligent Auto actually gives you quite a few more options than Superior Auto, which is designed to allow the camera (rather then the operator) to decide amost every aspect of the shot.

There's no need to use a fully Manual mode to increase menu optionds and gain more control. If you would like to move away from shooting fully-automatically, try experimenting with Program mode. While everything is still automatic in this mode, you are given many more options, including spot focus etc, which are hidden from you in the Auto modes.

This page of the online guide lists the various modes and the options they enable/disable.

Enjoy :cool:

Mick

davies1909
Visitor

Hello Mick,

Hallelujah, I think you have just lifted the veil that has thus far obscured my comprehension of the HX20V modus operandi.  I have been so accustomed to the ease of use of my DSC-P200, my mind had not made the leap to visualise the extraordinary changes in modern camera technology.

In combing through the mass of data in the online guide, I had overlooked the reference page entitled “MENU items not available in some REC modes”, which clearly indicates that the ‘Focus’ and ‘Metering Modes’ are not available in the Intelligent and Superior Auto Modes.  I can only observe, that I think it is a pity that the draughtsman of the online guide did not specifically mention this exception on the ‘Focus’ and ‘Metering Mode’ pages.

This has also jolted me into the modern era, in realising that the current concept of ‘Intelligent Auto’ and ‘Superior Auto’ is precisely that, the camera takes complete control of the focus and metering modes, and will not brook any interference.  This is very hard for me to accept, but I must adapt my mindset accordingly.  Not easy at the age of 82.

I have not used the ‘Easy Mode’ facility yet, as I was not sure at this stage of my HX20V adventure, precisely what advantages or disadvantages this new unknown unexplored mode would offer. So, this is something I shall need to experiment with in the future.

I shall be attending an annual garden party tomorrow with friends, so it will be interesting to see whether my photographic prowess on this occasion will engender for me pleasure or frustration.

Thank you for your contribution in trying to help me.

Regards,    

Mick2011
New

Hello again; glad that was of some help. Those mode choices are becoming very common in consumer cameras now, even across brands. Bewildering at first but incredibly comprehensive, as you point out.

Easy mode is precisely what you would expect: everything, including menus, is simplified and pared down to the bare essentials. You can alter image (file) size, switch flash and GPS on/off, or use the self-timer. Text size increases, image viewing is more straightforward, etc – the idea is that you simply point and shoot.

Maybe too easy for you?

The relevant User Guide page is here.

Enjoy the party :slight_smile:

Mick