Join now - be part of our community!

How to Complain?

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Hadian
Explorer

How to Complain?

Hi, new forum member here.  Can I please ask you guys if you have an email so that I can complain to Sony Customer Services UK? I already know of customersupport.en@eu.sony.com and they are not replying.

In short, I have a Sony Bravia Android TV, the warranty lasts until sometime next year in 2020.  It was great, best TV ever and loved all the features....until the Oreo update that is.  I'm sure we all know about all the issues it has caused. I have read the forum posts. 

My issue is that it intermittently cuts off and on and off and on the wi fi connection.  It's driving me nuts.

I have done all the right things, done the updates, done the factory reset, checked the router etc

I have contacted Sony via their My Sony page and raised a ticket.  Filled out their form with all the details.

I got a reply and again, filled out a dozen or more questions and implemented all of their suggested fixes, much of which I already had done, and told them I had done.

Next they informed me they would be back in touch in 48 hours. That was 72 hours ago.

I have sent them an email to update and reply and they have ignored me.

I have done the same again today, and still no reply.

Under terms of the warranty their update has ruined a critical functionality of my costly TV.

Any ideas of where I can take this further?  Is there a regulatory agency I can take this up with or can I bypass Sony Customer Support EU to another email within Sony?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

@Hadian  schrieb:

Sony's view is that the TV is perfect because the software is causing the problem and not the hardware.

Well, seeing as it's an Android TV and its functionality depends on the integrity of the operating system

Android TV is not the problem. Major problem is the cheap MediaTek SoC which Sony is using, plus Linux kernel and drivers maintained by MediaTek/Sony. This is where things break, including the WiFi/networking drivers which really suck on BRAVIA.

Just as an aside, Sony still have not done Jack. Their response is that their engineers are investigating it.

Sony support is as helpful as the lady in the grocery store around the corner.

@Hadian  schrieb:
and have selected channel 4 instead of auto

Only use channels 1, 6 and 11 on 2.4GHz. Google will tell you why :wink: .

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

WiFi has indeed become pretty flaky as of Oreo. I have been reporting about that for months already as I have been one of the early adopters (via USB update). Now that Oreo has been rolled out to a wider audience, there are lots of complaints about it all over. AFAIK, Sony already acknowledged the issue. But it usually takes them months to fix even severe ones. They simple don't have the required man-power. They still haven't released AirPlay support, Pie is on the horizon, plus they have to work on next year's models...

Here are some suggestions to mitigate Wi-Fi/internet connectivity issues:

- disable IPv6 in the router

- don't use auto channel for WiFi

- disable 2.4GHz/5GHz roaming (either apply different SSIDs to both or disable one of them)

profile.country.GB.title
Hadian
Explorer

Thanks sorry for the late reply, its been a busy couple of weeks one thing or another.

I have now disabled IPv6 on LAN, and have selected channel 4 instead of auto.  It's only a 2.4GHz router anyway.

So far after 1 day I haven't seen any connection or disconnection message.

It may have worked but want to be cautious.

I'll obviously monitor the situation daily and if it has or hasn't worked I'll post the result up here anyway, as it's useful to other forum members.

Just as an aside, Sony still have not done Jack.  Their response is that their engineers are investigating it.

This is now going on for 21 days ago, and I reckon they are hoping I will just go away and leave them alone.

If it works I will, but if it doesn't then off back to Curry's I go, or....Trading Standards.

Sony's view is that the TV is perfect because the software is causing the problem and not the hardware.

Well, seeing as it's an Android TV and its functionality depends on the integrity of the operating system, we shall see if Trading Standards will see if the TV is at fault or not.

Anyway....will let you know.

Thanks for the fix tips Betreff, fingers crossed.

Tags (1)
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

@Hadian  schrieb:

Well, seeing as it's an Android TV and its functionality depends on the integrity of the operating system

Android TV is not the problem. Major problem is the cheap MediaTek SoC which Sony is using, plus Linux kernel and drivers maintained by MediaTek/Sony. This is where things break, including the WiFi/networking drivers which really suck on BRAVIA.

Just as an aside, Sony still have not done Jack. Their response is that their engineers are investigating it.

Sony support is as helpful as the lady in the grocery store around the corner.

@Hadian  schrieb:
and have selected channel 4 instead of auto

Only use channels 1, 6 and 11 on 2.4GHz. Google will tell you why :wink: .

profile.country.GB.title
Hadian
Explorer

Thanks Kuschelmonschter, you know more than I do.  It is more than disappointing that Sony uses cheap MediaTek.  I know the market is competitive, but I thought I was buying the best quality brand, that uses the best parts.  It was either this or a Panasonic and the sales guy steered me towards the Sony.  Given, the poorest of the the poor customer service from Sony, they will lose me in any future purchases I make on that basis alone.  I hate being treated like crap by poor customer service. 

As for the wifi cut off and on, since the Oreo Upgrade, here is the update 1 week on:

1. Having a dual broadband router does not seem to interfere.  I recently acquired a new Sky Q router and the dual channels doesn't seem to be a problem for the TV.  
  2. What DOES seem to be the problem is either the IVP6 via LAN and/or the Auto Channel.
  3. A current solution then is to disable IVP6 via LAN and to select a channel.  As you suggest, I will opt for Channel 6.

Thanks fellah's for the advice....it worked....thus far since my original post up there ^^

profile.country.GB.title
Deeburn1
Explorer

Hi -i have exactly the same problem with my Sony bravia tv. I first returned it to currys where they monitored it for 2 days without finding any problems but still disconnected at home so wasn't fixed. Next step was Sony repair dept which it has been to twice, they replaced the same WiFi card, WiFi Bluetooth antenna and main board both times but the tv still disconnects from the Internet every 29mins! Every call I've made to Sony I'm talked through more resetting which never works. The tv is 6mth old yet they refuse to accept it has a problem and refuse to refund my money. What can I do now? Any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you 

profile.country.GB.title
Hadian
Explorer

Hi yep I solved the problem by going into the system settings of my router. 

You will need to know the ip address of your router and password.

I have a Sky router but I think its more to do with the channel and IVP than make and model of the router.
First you need to disable IVP6 on your router.  Also I changed the channel for 2.4ghz from Auto to 11.  
That worked for me.  If it doesn't work for you then also check on your router that you dont have dual broadband enabled.  
Turn off 5ghz and just use 2.4ghz.
These all seem like backwards steps and they are really 😞
Good luck.