Join now - be part of our community!

SLT Continuous Shooting mode

profile.country.en_GB.title
ibleed
Visitor

SLT Continuous Shooting mode

I am very happy with my a100 SLR which can shoot an unlimited number of frames(JPEG at 10MP) when in continuous shooting mode - 3FPS. I believe the new SLT cameras can shoot very much faster than this - 10FPS+, but at this rate they can only shoot 25-30 frames before they stop. My question is, if i wanted to shoot at say 3FPS with an SLT, could i shoot an unlimited(until media is full) number of frames or does the camera eventually stop after 50 frames or so? Thankyou

4 REPLIES 4
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello ibleed - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

I am going to look into this further for you as there may be differences amongst the various Sony SLT cameras that are available. I will let you know as soon as I have some information.

Thanks,

Simon

profile.country.GB.title
mikeyp2000

I used to own an a77.   Using a 95mb/s UHS1 card, I could get about 25 jpgs (at 12 mpix) using 8fps then it would slow to around 4 or 5fps but kept shooting.

At full 24mpix resolution, I could get just over 20 at 8fps then slowing to 2 or 3 fps.

In raw, I could get about 16 shots in at 8fps before it slowed to just under 2fps.

Noise reduction can have an effect on these as the camera has to work a little harder between shots.

I Didn't ever try figuring out the buffer depth in 3fps mode.   3fps was my preferred mode and shooting raw, I don't ever recall the camera stalling as if it were struggling to keep up with the write speeds.

Other SLT cameras may not support the extra fast UHS1 transfer mode.

There are many variables!

ibleed
Visitor

This is very useful information. Thankyou for your input.

profile.country.de_DE.title
cmosse
Contributor

For SLT-A57 you can have a look at the performance measurements from dpreview:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-alpha-slt-a57/10

you can take more than 70 images in the low continuos shooting setting (3 fps) and after that the frame rate will drop slightly to about 2.5 sec (until card is full). Using a fast card is mandatory for this kind of continuos shooting.

Values for SLT-A65 are listed here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta65/8

Best Regards

Michael

Message was edited by: cmosse