Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-S2XP Wont Recognise 160Gb Hard Drive

prosonman
Visitor

VGN-S2XP Wont Recognise 160Gb Hard Drive

Hi,

Has anyone managed to get a hard drive greater than 137Gb to work with a Sony Vaio VGNS2XP?

I have upgraded to the latest BIOS (R0072G4) from the Vaio update but my 160Gb hard drive still shows as only 137GB.

My Windows XP has LBA support enabled so I just need to know if there is a BIOS version for this laptop to enable the 160Gb IDE drive to work beyond it's current 137GB limit?

Many thanks

3 REPLIES 3
skykit84
New

You don't mention whether you are saying you are replacing a drive with a 160gb to install windows on? or are you plugging in an external 160gb drive via usb/firewire?

prosonman
Visitor

Hi,

Sorry for not making this clear, it's an internal 160GB IDE hard drive that I have installed. Originally the unit had an 80GB drive installed so I thought I would upgrade, however I did not anticipate the BIOS not being able to recognise the full hard drive size.

The BIOS for the VGN-S3XP is a later version (R0093V0) but that laptop uses SATA drives so I'm not sure if it would work on my VGN-S2XP, any ideas?

Thanks.

prosonman
Visitor

Hi,

HELP - Does nobody have any ideas on how this problem is solved?

I tried partioning the drive on another machine and formating it, each partion was less than 120GB, however the S2XP kept crashing during the boot up procedure of the Windows XP installation disk, I think it had something to do with the video driver not liking the partions adding upto more than 137GB.

I need to update the BIOS but not sure if I can go any higher than RK0072G4 on the S2XP.

Help Please.

Thanks
Richard.