Join now - be part of our community!

WIRELESS WLAN PROBLEMS Help Please?

LittleSilly
Visitor

WIRELESS WLAN PROBLEMS Help Please?

Ok for whatever reason my WLAN connection has stopped working. The wireless switch is turned on but the light isnt green. I have a VGN-NR21M sony vaio laptop running on Vista.

I have been able to get it back on but its only a temp solution. I go into my Network Connections and disabled my wireless connection (Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Connection). I then restart my laptop and enable it again, the green light comes on and the internet reconnects. Problem sorted.

Well no, because as soon as my computer enters sleep mode or if i shutdown or restart it then the connection is lost and i have to re-do the whole thing again. I have tried everything but im pretty limited to laptop knowledge. Iv followed instructions off other forums to do with the power saver option but i really cant get this sorted.

PLEASE HELP ???

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.en_NL.title
Carelino
Visitor

Try disabling
"allow computer to turn off this device to save power"
Assuming you have Vista....

1. Go to desktop
2. Rightclick computer
3. pick "properties"
4. Device manager
5. In device manager look for "network adapters" and double click it
6. Double click your wireless card "(Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG"
7. Go to the TAB "Power Management"
8. Turn OFF (no V in the square) "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"
9. Press OK and your done (you can close everything).

If this is not helping it is something else.....first easy solutions.

Good luck

LittleSilly
Visitor

Hi thanks so much for the help, really appreciate it. However its still doing the same thing. Seems to be something more serious im afaird. Any ideas?

Carelino
Visitor

It looks a lot like the problem people had in the beginning when Vista came out. Wireless not connecting and everything. Don't remember precisely.

Did you try installing the latest driver for your Wireless card:

Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

LittleSilly
Visitor

Ok downloaded the latest driver for my model of vista (which is the Home Premium 32-bit) and re-started my computer (unchecked power saver again).

But it still doesnt work, iv had to follow the usual instructions to get back on and post this reply.

:slight_frown:

Carelino
Visitor

:slight_frown:

Must be something with your Wireless Switch Setting Utility i recommend reinstalling it. That is the utility that is suppose to turn it on or off. I don't remember well but I believe there was a thread about this.

Since there is no search available I wont be able to find it back. You got nothing to loose so try reinstalling The Wireless Switch Setting Utility.

Since your laptop is different it is hard for me to help you. I believe your laptop does not have it. I do see in your original installed files online that there is a:

LINK
Original Utilities Package
VAIO Smart Network
Wireless LAN Driver Atheros
Wireless LAN Driver Intel

You could try reinstalling them. I wish I could do more....