Join now - be part of our community!

SZ Series DVD Replacement Query

skykit84
New

SZ Series DVD Replacement Query

Hi all,

Not been on here in a long time - nice to see my sticky is still there :- )

I know about the CD drive issue however the issue at hand is not really related so my query is, do all SZ series have the same type of drive?

The story goes... my manager has an SZ3 series while I have a SZ5 series. Mines fine but manager's drive works like a yoyo - at times it reads but it will never write and always fail. Other times, it can't detect the CD.
He had used the drive in the early life of the laptop to rip a lot of CD's and I feel the drive itself is just knackered now.

So the query is, can I purchase a similar UJ-xxx drive for a SZ5/6/7 series for instance and assume the connectors are still the same? I can't seem to source the same model number and considering how mine has been running without any issues, I was hoping I could get something newer, with a bezel for the SZ already on there and replace his unit.

No problems with fitting, I've been in the SZ series many times, I just can't remember the SZ3 and whether they changed the design (connectors/SATA/IDE etc) for the DVD drive itself?

Thanks in advance and if you can recommend any drive makes/models, I would appreciate it

AJ

0 REPLIES 0