Join now - be part of our community!

How to: Clean Install

skykit84
New

How to: Clean Install

Hi all, as promised, after scores of wasted cds... I finally got my retail XP Pro toaccept the sticker s/n under the laptop:-

Note: I do not believe to be doing anything against the rules. I will assume that everyone here has a legit copy of the licence sticker under their laptop.
On top of this, I will assume that the XP CD is legit but as far as I know, this is not needed as you have a legit licence.
We are editing the CD to ensure it accepts the legit licence.

When I bought my Sony SZ2XP/C, I could not believe how much junk there was pre-installed by Sony. 8 GBs of trial software and unstable Windows files made the laptop useless on Day 1. I’m very specific on how things are setup, from where things install, to what is installed and so on.
Having said all this, I was not surprised to see anything because of previous users complaining about this.

So I thought, what I will do is use my legit copy of Windows XP Pro and install it on the laptop. There was an initial issue with drivers because many on the forums mentioned how difficult it was to get drivers for Sony Laptops. This was not an issue for me because the drivers were all available including the camera and shortcut keys on the website. Failing the website, the drivers were available on the c:\ along with the applications (such as Sony Vaio power management and so on).
I would strongly advise copying this although most will be on the website.

So after installing… I noticed that the serial number under my laptop was invalid. Now, I had just bought this laptop, got it with XP Pro which I assume I paid for during the buying of the laptop. When this did not work, I was rather annoyed. I phoned Sony up and they were not interested. When I used a serial that worked, and then changed to the sticker, it failed. Microsoft too did not want to know.

So that’s my story on how things got started.

After 20-30 copies of XP Pro, I found the way to have a clean install and make it work.

Note:
Microsoft XP Pro Retail, OEM, Corp, and restore CDs will not accept the sticker serial number

1.Find a copy of Windows XP Pro, or OEM
2.Copy the entire contents making sure hidden files or folders are copied to hard-disk. To do this, make a folder called XP in your C:\
3.Once copied, you need several files in your I386 folder from the Sony install. Now these are almost impossible to get if the hard-disk is corrupt, formatted or not accessible. The files are as follows:-

•OEMBIOS.BI_
•OEMBIOS.CA_
•OEMBIOS.DA_
•OEMBIOS.SI_
•OEMCOA.JP_
•OEMIG50.EX_
•OEMIGLIB.DL_
•OEMLOGO.GI_
•PIDGEN.DLL
•SETUPP.INI

4.Copy the above files into your i386 folder in the XP you copied to your HD
5.Now you are ready to burn the files to CD but first, you need to ensure the CD is bootable
6.To make the CD bootable…. Create a new Bootable ISO in Nero
7.Copy all the files and folders in your XP folder into your ISO image in Nero
8.The folders you should have in your image are:-

CMPNENTS
DOCS
I386
SUPPORT
VALUEADD
Autorun.inf
readme.htm
setup.exe
setupxp.htm
win51
win51ip
win51ip.sp2
9.Click on Burn.
10.On the Boot tab, ensure Kind of Emulation is set to None, and number of Loaded Sectors is 4 (or cd will notboot!!)
11.Now we just need a bootable image. This is attached in the files. You can extract the bootable image from your original XP CD using ISOBuster
12.Select Image File and use the Microsoft Windows.IMG in there
13.That’s it… hit burn

Boot of the new CD you just created and once asked for serial, use the serial number from under the laptop. This should successfully accept your serial number and activate.

That’s it from me…. Have fun in your CLEAN windows installed laptop/PC.

I accept no responsibility in this however can say that in several installations, this has worked fine. This will work on other laptops with similar issues such as HP and Dell.

Thats it... I just need to find a place to host these files.. any advice? Its about 13mb for anyone who wants them.

49 REPLIES 49
skykit84
New

I forgot to say
You can then use the drivers and so on that you backed up or downloaded.
Also the applications directory has all the Sony stuff that I count as Utilities.
These are not the trial crap but the utils such as Power management, Vaio update (which does not work after the clean install because I'm guessing it looks for a dll to identify the machine?)You then have the HD protection system, hardware diagnostics... vaio control centre etc
all works...just the vaio update does not... I'm not bothered, If i want to look for updated drivers, I normally look individually anyway.

Enjoy.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Thanks Akash,

It looks like the secret is including the OEMxxx files.

I'm sure this will help lots of members. I suppose this just beggs the question - Why don't Sony provide an option in the Vaio Recovery Wizard to make such a disc?

I'm not sure of the legal side, but I think I agree with you - you have a legit license for this OS.

Let us know what happens when the Windows Genuine Advantage Tool has a look at it!!!!

I should point out for the benefit of other readers that this would definitely be illegal (and probably would not work) if you tried to replace XP Home with XP Pro.

:thinking:

skykit84
New

Blencogo you are correct.
WinXP Pro and Home crossover with the files will not work and it is highly illegal todo this

I should have also mentioned that Windows Genuine Advantage works perfectly, you can activate and do all your Windows Updates in my instructions.
You can also download Microsoft stuff that uses WGA and it authenticates without any issues.

It is in a nutshell, a fully working Windows installation

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Another advantage is that you can presumably boot to the Recovery Console in an emergency?

:thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Nice guide Akash, wonder if Vista will be this simple?

skykit84
New

Just tried recovery console... works nicely :slight_smile:

Vista.... I dread to think... i guess I better get those blank DVDs ready!
What annoys me is that shortly after I got my laptop, Sony decided to have some sort of Vista incentive to upgrade? Its like vouchers or something?
Ah well...

stil after a place to upload these files

berndkorteling
Visitor

Hi,
Nice job Akash. But do you think it will also work with Windows XP MCE? I think it should work, but I don't know that much about computers...
thx,
Bernd

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

The vouchers - the last I heard PC World were issuing them and you got Vista free if you spent more than a grand, but you'd have to ask them about it.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Akash84

I think Sony are participating in Microsoft's Express Upgrade to Windows Vista program. Basically if you buy a PC from a participating supplier between October 26 2006 and March 15, 2007 the supplier will give you a coupon that will allow either free or discounted copies to upgrade a Windows XP PC to Windows Vista when it becomes available next year.

I didn't think you had to spend that much Kee-Lo..:smileyshocked: