Join now - be part of our community!

How to: Clean Install

skykit84
New

How to: Clean Install

Hi all, as promised, after scores of wasted cds... I finally got my retail XP Pro toaccept the sticker s/n under the laptop:-

Note: I do not believe to be doing anything against the rules. I will assume that everyone here has a legit copy of the licence sticker under their laptop.
On top of this, I will assume that the XP CD is legit but as far as I know, this is not needed as you have a legit licence.
We are editing the CD to ensure it accepts the legit licence.

When I bought my Sony SZ2XP/C, I could not believe how much junk there was pre-installed by Sony. 8 GBs of trial software and unstable Windows files made the laptop useless on Day 1. I’m very specific on how things are setup, from where things install, to what is installed and so on.
Having said all this, I was not surprised to see anything because of previous users complaining about this.

So I thought, what I will do is use my legit copy of Windows XP Pro and install it on the laptop. There was an initial issue with drivers because many on the forums mentioned how difficult it was to get drivers for Sony Laptops. This was not an issue for me because the drivers were all available including the camera and shortcut keys on the website. Failing the website, the drivers were available on the c:\ along with the applications (such as Sony Vaio power management and so on).
I would strongly advise copying this although most will be on the website.

So after installing… I noticed that the serial number under my laptop was invalid. Now, I had just bought this laptop, got it with XP Pro which I assume I paid for during the buying of the laptop. When this did not work, I was rather annoyed. I phoned Sony up and they were not interested. When I used a serial that worked, and then changed to the sticker, it failed. Microsoft too did not want to know.

So that’s my story on how things got started.

After 20-30 copies of XP Pro, I found the way to have a clean install and make it work.

Note:
Microsoft XP Pro Retail, OEM, Corp, and restore CDs will not accept the sticker serial number

1.Find a copy of Windows XP Pro, or OEM
2.Copy the entire contents making sure hidden files or folders are copied to hard-disk. To do this, make a folder called XP in your C:\
3.Once copied, you need several files in your I386 folder from the Sony install. Now these are almost impossible to get if the hard-disk is corrupt, formatted or not accessible. The files are as follows:-

•OEMBIOS.BI_
•OEMBIOS.CA_
•OEMBIOS.DA_
•OEMBIOS.SI_
•OEMCOA.JP_
•OEMIG50.EX_
•OEMIGLIB.DL_
•OEMLOGO.GI_
•PIDGEN.DLL
•SETUPP.INI

4.Copy the above files into your i386 folder in the XP you copied to your HD
5.Now you are ready to burn the files to CD but first, you need to ensure the CD is bootable
6.To make the CD bootable…. Create a new Bootable ISO in Nero
7.Copy all the files and folders in your XP folder into your ISO image in Nero
8.The folders you should have in your image are:-

CMPNENTS
DOCS
I386
SUPPORT
VALUEADD
Autorun.inf
readme.htm
setup.exe
setupxp.htm
win51
win51ip
win51ip.sp2
9.Click on Burn.
10.On the Boot tab, ensure Kind of Emulation is set to None, and number of Loaded Sectors is 4 (or cd will notboot!!)
11.Now we just need a bootable image. This is attached in the files. You can extract the bootable image from your original XP CD using ISOBuster
12.Select Image File and use the Microsoft Windows.IMG in there
13.That’s it… hit burn

Boot of the new CD you just created and once asked for serial, use the serial number from under the laptop. This should successfully accept your serial number and activate.

That’s it from me…. Have fun in your CLEAN windows installed laptop/PC.

I accept no responsibility in this however can say that in several installations, this has worked fine. This will work on other laptops with similar issues such as HP and Dell.

Thats it... I just need to find a place to host these files.. any advice? Its about 13mb for anyone who wants them.

49 REPLIES 49
avalon1860
Visitor

Search on google "DOWNLOAD ENLITE" install it.
can't find this program....

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi avalon1860 and welcome.

I think the link should be to nLite Downloads

For Vista there seems to be another configurastion tool by the same authors called vLite 1.0

:wink:

avalon1860
Visitor

thanks a lot,I'm going to try it

pizio80
Visitor

i'm tuning....

lewings
Visitor

Akash84
Do you have those files hosted anywhere yet? I have an SZ1XP/C with no recovery discs or partition. I have a volume licensed copy of XP installed currently, but few of the features work and most importantly it won't recoginse it as VAIO so I can't (crucially) upgrade the BIOS.

Also, is there anywhere I could get hold of the recovery discs? Sony's support is shocking.
Regards
Lewis

skykit84
New

Hiya

I did not bother hosting them anywhere as I did not think anyone was interested
Pleae wait till the end of today and I'll temp host them on my webserver - need to head into work so I won't have time to do it until I get back

As for recovery, I THINK I might still have the SZ2XP/C recovery CDs so if you're in the UK, let me know and I'll send them to you

rockdj99uk
Visitor

Great tut Akash. I've just successfully carried it out with XP Media Center on an FE31Z after finding that my recovery disc is damaged.

Thanks for your hard work. :wink:

EMIRIANO
Visitor

BOA TARDE

MEU PROBLEMA NÃO ESTÁ AQUI MENCIONADO

PRECISO DE INSTALAR O SEGUINTE FICHEIRO NO MEU VAIO QUE UTILIZA WINDOWS XP

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MSHTML.HLP PARA PODER SALVAR UMA IMAGEM NO MEU DISCO RIGIDO

AQUI NÃO TEM UM ESPAÇO DE APOIO QUE PERMITA RESTAURAR UM FICHEIRO EM FALTA OU CORROMPIDOS COMO PARECE SER O CASO

ALGUEM PODE ME AJUDAR ????

awillson
Visitor

Can anyone upload the origional files suggested from the I386 folder for Windows XP SP2 as well as the DPCDLL.DL_ suggested as well, for me? Since ive removed my recovery drive and already installed another operating system and would like to revert back using the XP professional key on my laptop :slight_smile:

skykit84
New

This is mainly to anyone still following this thread / still needs help

Firstly, apologies in all those who requested files...I sent files to a lot of people on here but missed a lot too.
If anyone still requires this (yes i know we are talking 2-3 years since this was created!), I can hopefully supply/upload these.

On the same note, I only noticed today that I had 11 unread messages - why I was not notified about these is anyones question and there is nothing on the main page to notify one when they login either!
So apologies once again - most of them were actually people saying thanks for sorting their issues out to which I will individually reply back to however some were requesting help which I did not provide in regards to this thread.

I will keep an eye on this thread and messages in future :slight_smile: