Join now - be part of our community!

Using high shutter speed, A99 and HVL-F58AM

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
mischof67

Using high shutter speed, A99 and HVL-F58AM

Hi community members.

I am messing around and have managed to capture a drop of water from the tap at 1/8000 with the flash unit using the 100mm macro lens ISO 100, f2.8. I used the body set to fill in flash. I'm now trying to capture it as sharp but with rear sync flash. (I'm doing a course and want to show the difference between the two types of flash activation.) For some reason now I can't get the shutter speed to go above above 1/250 and as a result the droplets are not as sharp. They show the effect I'm after, but I hoped I would be able to get it sharper. What the heck am I doing wrong here? I've not had the flash unit that long so do not know my way around it, could any answers reflect this basic knowledge. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_GB.title
phprist
Explorer

You should be able to increase the shutter speed by using HSS (High Speed Sync).

There is a bit of info about how that works in practical terms in this artice:

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2012/10/10/first-impressions-using-the-sony-a99-and-hvl-f60m-flash-f...

"Many photos I shot outside were done with high speed sync though others were done without it. To accomplish HSS mode, the flash needs to aimed directly forward. It’s a good idea to set the flash to Pre-Flash TTL to ensure that it doesn’t also become part of the exposure but instead just triggers other flashes via Infrared transmission. Additionally, the flashes cannot accommodate my Pocket Wizard Plus IIIs due to the lack of an appropriate port."

Hope this helps!

Phil...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Bieomax

Hi Mischof67

i dont know much about the flash side of things as i've not really got around to looking at the use of them yet.

but at the risk of getting in trouble with the admins here i would say to try a post on Dyxum.com forums (a dedicated A mount community - and a nice one at that) they have alot more active members and your'll likely to get a response far faster by people who do use this equpiment

Kind Regards

Mark.
profile.country.en_GB.title
phprist
Explorer

You should be able to increase the shutter speed by using HSS (High Speed Sync).

There is a bit of info about how that works in practical terms in this artice:

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2012/10/10/first-impressions-using-the-sony-a99-and-hvl-f60m-flash-f...

"Many photos I shot outside were done with high speed sync though others were done without it. To accomplish HSS mode, the flash needs to aimed directly forward. It’s a good idea to set the flash to Pre-Flash TTL to ensure that it doesn’t also become part of the exposure but instead just triggers other flashes via Infrared transmission. Additionally, the flashes cannot accommodate my Pocket Wizard Plus IIIs due to the lack of an appropriate port."

Hope this helps!

Phil...