Join now - be part of our community!

Z2 Screen Discolouration

JimmyKFace
Visitor

Z2 Screen Discolouration

I've had my Sony Xperia Z2 for coming on 3 months now and yesterday i noticed a slight yellowy discolouration next to the power button on the screen (see picture below).

This is most visible when the screen has something white on it but is evident all the time (obviously only when the screen is on, no visible damage when the screen or phone is off).

I have no idea why this has suddenly happened and know i havent done anything to the phone that would cause this.

From using google i can find references to the Xperia S having screen issues with a yellowish tint but that seems to be affecting the whole phone and not just one section like mine.

Has anyone experienced any issues like this?

How do I stand with Sony getting a replacement/screen fix as the phone is less than three months old and (in the UK) still covered by the 1 year garuntee on the product as i have only used the phone in the manor it was intended to be used.

IMG-20140820-WA0005.jpg

16 REPLIES 16
Sequenzed
Visitor

I noticed that spot on my Z2 today. And it's right in the same place next to the power button. So what is up with these screens?

JimmyKFace
Visitor

I just googled "Z5 yellow discolouration" and was surprised to see my Z2 issue as one of the first posts.

I basically have the exact same issue in the exact same place (near the power button) but on a Z5 rather than a Z2.

I'm a bit irked this has happened again (albeit after 7 months of usage this time not three).

I must say though, i did send my Z2 off back in 2014 and they did replace the screen for not charge to me under warrently.

dementor
Visitor

Just contact sony local represents send the phone to repair, i have 2 sony z2 and after 1 year and 4 month same thing yellow spots, reason phone is getting very hot after playing games to much.
SamDF
Visitor

I have this developing on my phone, too. I bought it in November 2014, so I guess I have had a good run. I wanted to know what causes it, so that if it's something I am doing, I can stop so it doesn't get worse. I am very attached to my phone and don't want to have to replace it or the screen. 

SamDF
Visitor

Do you use a magnetic charger? I started using it more regularly lately and wondered if that was the cause. My spot is also slowly getting bigger. 

Aalkul
Visitor

Same problem with a Z5... Phone got very hot while watching youtube.. Then it dimmed and then i noticed the brownish yellow patch just above the sim slot.

VikeTaegeuk
Visitor

Greetings, JimmtKFace.

I have just now Google-searched this discoloration-issue, and i now see this is a thing many experience.

I purchased a Z2 in 2014, and that one got this issue of discoloration, and I chose to search for a used Z2, and found one, that had been repaired, and came with a reciept for its repairs. Turned out, it still had this issue, and also around the borders of the screen, it had these bright luminanses. I later over 2 years ago bought an Xperia XZ, and around 2 months ago i noticed my XZ now also has this yellow discoloration. i asked where I bought this, if the staff had heard anything about this, and if Sony perhaps have issues with thei screen-tech. They had not heard of that prior. This has made me decide to permanently stay away from Sony-phones. This discoloration bothers me especially much, considering I am a photo-geek having photographed for now 12 years, and like to personalize my phone with my own photos post-cropped vertically to fit the aspect-ration on mt phone, without having to recrop the pictures in-phone  before applying it as a backdrop. I have been fixing my eyes on the Samsung Galaxy S10, and am considering that one eventually. Pricy, though. i will need to think this through thorrowly.

Permanently farewell to your phones, Sony.

With all disrespect to Sony's phones

Klaus Lehrmann

Denmark