Join now - be part of our community!

Z2 Screen Discolouration

JimmyKFace
Visitor

Z2 Screen Discolouration

I've had my Sony Xperia Z2 for coming on 3 months now and yesterday i noticed a slight yellowy discolouration next to the power button on the screen (see picture below).

This is most visible when the screen has something white on it but is evident all the time (obviously only when the screen is on, no visible damage when the screen or phone is off).

I have no idea why this has suddenly happened and know i havent done anything to the phone that would cause this.

From using google i can find references to the Xperia S having screen issues with a yellowish tint but that seems to be affecting the whole phone and not just one section like mine.

Has anyone experienced any issues like this?

How do I stand with Sony getting a replacement/screen fix as the phone is less than three months old and (in the UK) still covered by the 1 year garuntee on the product as i have only used the phone in the manor it was intended to be used.

IMG-20140820-WA0005.jpg

16 REPLIES 16
Hampus
Champion

Hi and welcome to the community! Since you're new please be sure that you have checked out our Discussion guidelines.

I suggest that you visit nearest service center to have your phone examined by a technician. You can contact your local support team for further information about nearest service center and/or how to proceed with this in the best possible way:
http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/support/contact-us/contact-info/

albodobo
Visitor

Hi,

I think that I have seen the same issue. I bought a z2 tablet in April 2014 and noticed some yellow discolouration down one long side of the screen after a couple of weeks. I reported it to Amazon and they sent a replacement straight away. Then last week I noticed the same in one corner of the replacement, so am thinking I need to report this again. However, if this is going to be an ongoing fault I am tempted to just get money back and buy something different.

Has anyone from Sony seen anything like this?

Thanks

JimmyKFace
Visitor

Thanks for your reply  albodobo.

I took my phone into Vodafone last week and they said that they'd have to send it off to the repair centre in Kent so i am awaiting on a spare android phone i've recently purchased to arrive so i can wipe my Z2 and send it to Sony to hopefully repair or replace.

the discolouration on my screen is deinftely getting worse (about twice as big as the image in my original post shows) so want to get this sorted ASAP now before the whole screen dies on me.

malt1977
Visitor

Technically, you have a 2 year warranty, but that is not a concern at this early stage. I beleive that you will end up with a replacement screen, as a retailer selling mobile phones, I would expect a replacement If a customer of mine came in with that, and as yet there has not been one that hasn't been replaced.

To be honest, I've seen this quite a lot with iPhones, but then we sell a lot more of those than we do Z2's.

Anyway, good luck and keep us posted.

sd1cko
Visitor

Hi

I have also suffered exactly this same problem but on the opposite side of the screen.

Does anyone know a cause?

Also, if I manage to get a screen replacment from O2 then how does this affect my 2 year warranty with Sony?? 

Plus: When sent for a repair with O2, I've been told that you aren't guaranteed the same phone back and it could be a refurbishment? Why would I want someone else's broken phone returned to me with their problems fixed?? This would also then not be under warranty from Sony surely??

Slightly_frowning_Face

afigelov
Visitor

I also see a yellow spot in the upper left corner of the SIM card which is carried by the replacement guarantee refused and said that I was to blame ((DSC_4312.jpg

Hampus
Champion

Hi afigelov,

I'm sorry to hear that. 
I suggest that you raise this with your local support team for further information about how to proceed with this in the best possible way:
http://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/contactUs/

Botiguti
Visitor

Exact same spot as you. It seems like a defective screen. Just after 3 months of use. I don't have Sony support in my country, so I'll have to pay for it?
saba007
Visitor

Can this issue be solved by replacing my display assembly with a new one from ebay??