Join now - be part of our community!

Remove Camera Shortcut from Lock screen - Android 9 (Pie)

TheMan3000
Visitor

Remove Camera Shortcut from Lock screen - Android 9 (Pie)

as per title.. how do you remove the camera shortcut from the locks screen?

Ive looked through all the settings and im sure there was a option in lock screen settings but it doesnt seem to be there any more?

or was it in the camera settings (quick settings)? but that option is not there any more?

17 REPLIES 17
doomeinow
Visitor

As  stated, it's an Android 9 thing. Same no go on my Motorola G7. The reasoning is to allow access to answer or make calls and access to camera with out decrypting entire device. I couldn't be more wissed about this. Android devices are becoming so fast with their encryption and decryption schemes, I can't see forfeiting the security for the individual camera and phone apps. For those of us who prefer PINs and refuse to digitise our biometrics (tinfoil hatters), definitely the wrong direction.

Ever wonder why there's no way to turn off your cameras and microphone on your device, just stuck with denying some of the apps and processes permission to use them?

Jonas
Master

Hi @GeeWhy,

I don't have any information regarding who it would benefit, all I know is that this was removed in Android 9 and based on the information that @doomeinow provided, it seems to be general change in Android 9 and not only for Xperia devices.

@doomeinow, thank you for the information about it being the same on your Motorola device and it sounds like it was a change on Google's side in this case.

I will of course forward the feedback internally, but I can't make any promises.

Have a great weekend!

Alex613
Visitor

I am bothered by this too.

One work around I found is to remove the camera app and the install another app found in the app store.

Jonas
Master

Hi @Alex613, welcome to our forum!

I'll make sure to forward your thoughts on this internally as user feedback as well.

Thank you and have a nice day!

Simonfigures
Visitor

The only way I can work out how to do it is via you app permissions, go to the camera permissions and disable the camera app from having camera permissions... Absolute ball ache I know as you'll have to enable/disable when using/not using. But it's the only way I've been able to do it without downloading a camera blocker app.

Sony...sort this out.... We need to be able to have full control of what is displayed on our devices and lock screens.

Hope this helps

Jonas
Master

Hi @Simonfigures, welcome to our forum!

I have forwarded the feedback and I agree, having to enable/disable an application over and over again isn't optimal.

Thurgian
Visitor

A slightly less annoying workaround is to install any of the various "app locking" apps and assign camera usage to that app.  Accessing the camera would then require a fingerprint, pin, or passcode ...

Jonas
Master

Hi @Thurgian, I'm sorry for the late reply, I have been out of office due to vacation.

That is a very good suggestion and sure it will be annoying but you'll have to make a choice, either be able to access it from the lock screen, or use your fingerprint to access the camera app.

Have a nice day! Slightly_smiling_Face