Join now - be part of our community!

Screen turning off too quickly

SOLVED
Jean-Loup
Visitor

Screen turning off too quickly

Hey guys, 

This is probably a question for Xperia care but I thought I'd ask here first. This morning my Z2 tablet started behaving oddly despite there not having been anything that happened to it. The screen only stays on for a second or so. Sometimes it turns off so quickly I don't even have time to draw the unlock patttern.

I have been able to be quick enough to tell it to restart and then shut down and restart. While it's still booting background applications you can keep the screen on as normal but then something happens and the screen just doesn't want to stay on for more than a second or so. This sounds like a software issue, even maybe something that may be infecting the system. However I haven't been downloading anything out of the ordinary so I can't think how this may have happened.

Has this been happening to anyone else? The tablet upgraded to 5.0.2 a few weeks ago but so far it's been fine so I'm a bit stumped...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Thommo
Genius

Try performing a system repair using PC Companion as this will often fix issues - This will factory reset and erase all data

Switch off your tablet and unplug from your Pc (Hold volume up and power for around 10 seconds)
Start PC Companion and select Support zone then Update my phone/tablet then in Blue Repair my phone/tablet and follow the on screen instructions - When prompted connect your phone still switched off holding volume down or back button - This should start the repair or reformat process

If you are using Windows 8/8.1 or a 64bit operating system then adjust the settings for PC Companion and run in compatibility mode and chose Windows 7 or XP

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Phy
Legend
Legend

Boot on safe mode and see if you experience any issues

How to boot on safe mode.
http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/FAQ/How-to-boot-your-phone-into-safe-mode/m-p/348008#U348008
Thommo
Genius

Try performing a system repair using PC Companion as this will often fix issues - This will factory reset and erase all data

Switch off your tablet and unplug from your Pc (Hold volume up and power for around 10 seconds)
Start PC Companion and select Support zone then Update my phone/tablet then in Blue Repair my phone/tablet and follow the on screen instructions - When prompted connect your phone still switched off holding volume down or back button - This should start the repair or reformat process

If you are using Windows 8/8.1 or a 64bit operating system then adjust the settings for PC Companion and run in compatibility mode and chose Windows 7 or XP

Jean-Loup
Visitor

Thanks guys I will try both solutions tonight and will report on results

Jean-Loup
Visitor

Well same issue with safe mode so I'll try to run a repair and if that doesn't work I'll have to send it off to Sony for repair again

Jean-Loup
Visitor

Thanks, the system repair from PC Companion seems to have done the trick, for now anyway.

I wish I knew what caused this issue in the first place though...

Thommo
Genius

Possibly a glitch or 3rd party app causing a conflict but for now it's fixed so I'd monitor the behaviour when installing apps so if it does happen again you can pinpoint the issue