Join now - be part of our community!

Faulty z2 (Pixel Death + Not Charging) Exchange Offered Warranty Issue

SOLVED
Mike1976
Visitor

Faulty z2 (Pixel Death + Not Charging) Exchange Offered Warranty Issue

Hi,

The glorious repair center in Cardiff have my faulty Z2 tablet and they cant fix it.

Exchange has been offered (not happy about a possible second hand unit or like for like as the guy put it) and I asked is the warranty reset as I have had the tablet for 6 months and if Sony is confident in there replacement the warranty should be reset.

The call centre wouldn't give me an answer and the managers didn't want to take the call (they will call me back in 24 hours) which made me feel loved and valued.

So I ask the question is it or not as the product was faulty (that's not my problem) and in my view should be replaced with a new one and the warranty honored.

Also I must say I bought this tablet because I have never had problems in the past with Sony kit however I'm glad I didn't as the customer service is truly awful.

Thanks,

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Thommo
Genius

This is not something unique to Sony and I can say from experience that Samsung do the same and will any manufacture of any product - the like for like which you don't like says that the replacement must be the same device or better and of the same quality and you have the right to refuse a replacement if you don't like the quality or if it doesn't match the one you handed in however if you signed for it then you are deemed to have accepted it and to add if it is delivered by a courier you have the right to open the package and inspect the item before signing

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Thommo
Genius

UK consumer law is an area I know a lot about - If you have an item with a 2 year warranty but after 6 months gets repaired then the 2 years does not reset - The original time carries on - If it was out of warranty but was repaired under the inherent faulty goods law then you would be given but not set in stone a discretional 6 months warranty

Mike1976
Visitor

Hi Thommo,

I understand the repair law but exchange?  Different IMEI number etc?

If i read your post correctly it still doesnt answer my problem.

Thanks,

Mike

Thommo
Genius

As it will have a different IMEI number then this won't change - Your warranty will still be valid but won't be reset back to 2 years or however long it was but you will need proof that it was exchanged via official means

Mike1976
Visitor

Hi Thommo,

Sorry I don't think that is the case as I can almost guarantee that Sony would never confirm this in writing.

So if they exchange the product like for like then I would have 18 months left on the product is that what your suggesting?

Although Sony should have the backbone to honor a full warranty as a sign of confidence in there offering.

Really feed up with the whole drama to be honest not a soul that works for Sony can answer my query's then they fob you off with a second hand product that's been through the repair center before fixed by an apprentice from Barry Island.  Really not good enough!

Cheers,

Mike

Thommo
Genius

Sony has to provide proof of a product exchange and yes you would have 18 months left - If as you say you want a reset of the warranty time then every 2 years you could provide a damaged phone for repair and then have it repaired and have a 2 year reset, In the UK we already have 5 to 6 years depending on if your Scottish to have repairs carried out if you can prove it's inherently faulty, These laws are both UK and EU laws and a new one is passed but won't take effect untill October which is after a repair and the same problem re-emerges then you are entitled to a refund if the same problem occurs in a replacement handset then this could be deemed inherently faulty and again entitles you to a refund

Mike1976
Visitor

Hi Thommo,

Thanks for that I really do appreciate you helping me.

The thing that really gets me is you buy a new product and Sony has the option to replace the faulty one with a second hand one (like for like) I think that stinks it would have been a better option to go through the insurance as I have a real issue with using used tech that they had kicking around in Cardiff.

For me if I had known this I wouldn't have bought sony's premium product and gone for a samsung its cheaper and it all seems disingenuous.

Thanks again,

Mike

Thommo
Genius

This is not something unique to Sony and I can say from experience that Samsung do the same and will any manufacture of any product - the like for like which you don't like says that the replacement must be the same device or better and of the same quality and you have the right to refuse a replacement if you don't like the quality or if it doesn't match the one you handed in however if you signed for it then you are deemed to have accepted it and to add if it is delivered by a courier you have the right to open the package and inspect the item before signing

Mike1976
Visitor

Thanks Thommo.