Join now - be part of our community!

WH-1000XM4 charging stops after 1 minute

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
integralist
New

WH-1000XM4 charging stops after 1 minute

Hello,

I purchased a set of Sony WH-1000XM4 headphones a couple months ago and have just discovered that I'm now no longer able to charge them. Sony suggest I reach out to one of their 'Authorised Repair & Service Center' and to either:

1. Purchase an official Sony charger for the WH-1000XM4 headphones.
2. If that fails then to arrange for said service center to repair my headphones.

I don't believe the issue will be fixed by the first option (e.g. with a new charging cable) as the cable I have, which came with the headphones, appears to work fine when used with another product. I have also tried other unofficial Sony cables that work normally but when used with these headphones I see the same problem -- described below). Also the issue with charging the headphones doesn't match the various suggestions on the Sony support site.

In my case the headphone's red 'charging' light comes on for 1 minute exactly before turning off. I've also left the headphones charging for over five minutes because Sony suggested the red charging light would come on more slowly if the headphones were completely drained of battery. (this is what happened in my case, as I used the headphones until the battery was almost completely drained, but I then plugged them in thinking they were charging and it wasn't until much later I discovered they weren't charging so the battery completely died at that point).

I've tried resetting and reinitializing, neither made any difference.

Anyone else had this type of issue before? What did you do to solve it?

Thanks.
Mark McDonnell
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
integralist
New

So it seems the solution was to just keep perservering with charging!?

I had the headphones plugged into my laptop (which is always plugged in and charging) and at some point Sunday night (after 3 days of the problem of the headphones just not charging) I came into the office and noticed the red charge light was on. I attempted to turn on the headphones and this time they actually turned on!

I can only presume that the batter was so dead that it took a crazy amount of time for them to recharge to the point where they could be turned on?

I wore them yesterday for a few hours and they went down to 80% charge and so I plugged them in and they started charging fine and showing the red charge light as expected.

So at this point I guess the moral of the story is: don't EVER let your headphones completely drain!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi Mark,

This very much sounds like a defective battery or charging circuit.

I would recommend to send the headphones to an authorized repair centre for inspection.

Cheers
Peter

profile.country.GB.title
integralist
New

So it seems the solution was to just keep perservering with charging!?

I had the headphones plugged into my laptop (which is always plugged in and charging) and at some point Sunday night (after 3 days of the problem of the headphones just not charging) I came into the office and noticed the red charge light was on. I attempted to turn on the headphones and this time they actually turned on!

I can only presume that the batter was so dead that it took a crazy amount of time for them to recharge to the point where they could be turned on?

I wore them yesterday for a few hours and they went down to 80% charge and so I plugged them in and they started charging fine and showing the red charge light as expected.

So at this point I guess the moral of the story is: don't EVER let your headphones completely drain!