Join now - be part of our community!

WH-1000XM2 right ear cup stopped working

profile.country.US.title
kert_r
Explorer

WH-1000XM2 right ear cup stopped working

Right ear cup has no sound. The same in Bluetooth and wired mode. Touch controls work. Resetting did not work. Right ear cup makes crunching noise and may very briefly play sound when pushing on it relatively fast. The sound stops as soon as ear cup is in a steady position. Software version is 4.5.2.

What can cause the problem? How can it be fixed?

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @kert_r,

if they are out of warranty and you want to try to attempt to fix them yourself, I would check whether or not a cable came loose.

Since the earcups can swivel and you can fold them in for storing them, it could be the movement worked an (already loose) cable off its point of contact.

You can probably find a disassembly guide on ifixit.

- Nic

profile.country.US.title
kert_r
Explorer

Thanks you for your response. They are out of warranty. I already opened the earcup and no cable seemed to be loose. I gently wiggled with visible cables, but was unable to hear any crunching nor other noises. There is no noise when I wiggle the earcup around from the mounts. The only way to make it sound for a brief moment is to push relatively fast.

profile.country.US.title
kert_r
Explorer

Right speaker starts to make sound when I gently press on the membrane. Sound stops as soon I release the pressure. This explains a brief sound when wearing the headphones and pushing on the outside. Air pressure inside the cup presses the membrane down for a moment.

What could cause this behavior?