Join now - be part of our community!

Sony WH-1000XM3 - v4.1.1 firmware failure?

profile.country.GB.title
GapsOfTheGod

Sony WH-1000XM3 - v4.1.1 firmware failure?

Having updated my 1000xm3's over the wekeend, there seems to be an introduction of hiss and a background noise of what sounds like distant traffic (even though I can hear nothing at all without the headphones on) when using Active Noise Cancellation, which was previously stellar. The potency of the noise cancelling is noticeably weaker since updating (I'd estimate around 40% less). Familiar auditory environments which were previously rendered almost entirely silent are now notedly audible. I've checked that the noise cancelling slider is left-most, and indeed it is.

I'm also disappointed to find I can't ask Alexa to play music from Spotify, and I press the button and just say "Play Metallica", it responds with "Shuffling music by Metallica on Amazon Music", yet nothing plays at all.

This update is very much a downgrade as it stands.

422 REPLIES 422
profile.country.GB.title
GapsOfTheGod

That's not a fix. That's how everyone had their headphones set up already.
profile.country.GB.title
arshadnas
Explorer

I had this same hissing noise from the right cup from the second day I started using my headphones. Started with a slight hiss but kept it kept increasing with my listening duration.
I noticed was the hissing sound started after listening music for about half an hour.
I did the following and now there is no hissing.
1. Factory reset
2. A post in reddit suggested downgrade of firmware; I did it.
3. Removed and reinstalled the Sony app.

Aaand, it's gone!

There was no hissing sound again until I installed the Sony Media Center app. So, I deleted the app and then the hissing sound is gone again. Strange, but true!

I feel that the version 2.0 is better that the latest firmware and the whitenoise/hissing is due to the faulty firmware. Sony should mend it ASAP as the number of people facing this issue is increasing.

PS: I'll update the post if it occurs again.

profile.country.GB.title
Martsky
Explorer

No thats not a fix we've all tryed that with most other things
profile.country.GB.title
arshadnas
Explorer

Definitely, Sony will have to fix the ANC. This is just a temporary fix. I feel that the hissing sound has reduced compared to V4.1.1.

livelysprite2019
Explorer

I got mine a few months ago from amazon with date 02/2019 on the box and on version 2.00 firmware.  After reading the comments, I won't be updating the firmware. 

profile.country.US.title
Ninyu4

Then you miss out on disabling of the annoying voice guidance.
profile.country.GB.title
arshadnas
Explorer

Well, if you don't have any hiss/white noise issues yet, then just wait for
the next update. I don't think that you're losing much with 2.0
Bezzer80
New

I received my XM3s yesterday and was completely unaware of this issue. I’ve got the XM2 which I use on a daily basis, so when I put these on to commute today I was shocked how bad they were which brought me here, they seem to amplify sounds from miles away. I could hear some builders shouting at each other down the street. It’s not a placebo like I’ve heard it’s definitely something wrong with the firmware. I’m on iOS system is it easy to downgrade?
profile.country.GB.title
Migltos
Explorer

Over 1,000 customers have signed a petition for Sony to fix the active noise cancellation in the wh1000xm3

http://chng.it/mLwLcb2M5M

barralpan
Explorer

How can we downgrade?