Join now - be part of our community!

Sony WH-1000XM3 - v4.1.1 firmware failure?

profile.country.GB.title
GapsOfTheGod

Sony WH-1000XM3 - v4.1.1 firmware failure?

Having updated my 1000xm3's over the wekeend, there seems to be an introduction of hiss and a background noise of what sounds like distant traffic (even though I can hear nothing at all without the headphones on) when using Active Noise Cancellation, which was previously stellar. The potency of the noise cancelling is noticeably weaker since updating (I'd estimate around 40% less). Familiar auditory environments which were previously rendered almost entirely silent are now notedly audible. I've checked that the noise cancelling slider is left-most, and indeed it is.

I'm also disappointed to find I can't ask Alexa to play music from Spotify, and I press the button and just say "Play Metallica", it responds with "Shuffling music by Metallica on Amazon Music", yet nothing plays at all.

This update is very much a downgrade as it stands.

422 REPLIES 422
profile.country.GB.title
eddieblacksmith
Explorer

The only known solution is here:

Reddit user FormalDetail5 aka anon has made a python script to force the firmware to downgrade.

The scripts are here:

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/D5VRhs3rZj/ - for the MDRID291600 model

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/2zjKxxhsKv/ - for the MDRID291601 model

It takes some technical skills and knowledge to successfully run the script so... good luck.

Also, once downgraded, you will need to uninstall the Sony app from your phone in order to keep noise canceling enabled during calls (this worked for me).

noooone
Explorer

I'm not risking bricking my headphones to fix them, Sony can fix the issue.

Shame the best product on the market comes with poor communications and denial of issues. 

My personal experience is limited, mine arrived today, 4 hours in I get a wind noise in the left cup. 

Odd thing I noticed during trouble shooting, factory reset did nothing, after re-pairing, I had the biggest improvement (temporary) by changing the sound quality from Quality to Stable. Going back and the noise was less of an issue. It comes and goes...

Couldn't see how to add to the thread without hitting respond to a post, not a specific response to the last post. Good luck all.

So unsure if I've found a fix/etc..  

I had read folks talking about the 4.1.1 Firmware update breaking the ANC of their headphones.  I had purchased a pair of these a couple weeks ago and was having no issues.

That changed this morning - I had gotten a prompt to pair them via Google Assistant.  It changed the default function of the Noise Cancellation button to Google assistant and it seemed to break ANC.  I could hear low pitch noises/machine rumbling/air conditioning/etc..  Dismayed I had tried to factory default/etc..  contact Sony/etc..  Not much luck, so I figured I'd exchange them out for a fresh new pair at my local retailer.

So I had exchanged them today, uninstalled the app (As I rarely ever used any functions in said App) and just wanted it to continue using Noise Cancellation as per stock configuration.  The Serial Number was quite a bit newer than my previous pair, and the case padding was substantially different.  So again, turn them on, pair with Assistant and the ANC is broken.  I can hear footsteps, ALL the noise around me, fingers running along wall/etc..  Truly on par with some of the terrible $50-80 pairs of ANC headphones I've tried in the past.

Again, Assistant changed the primary function of the ANC button to Google Assistant.  Factory defaulted them, and this time I paired them using the standard Bluetooth pairing method as I've done in the past with virtually every other pair of Bluetooth headphones.

Amazingly - it worked, the ANC seems to be functioning normally.  Unsure if it is something with Google assistant messing around with the ANC, or some functions associated with it, but it certainly seems to have improved the issue.

Wondering if this may help anyone else?  It certainly could explain folks exchanging them over and over again experiencing the same issue, did it support Google Assistant in 2.0.0?

I just tried Sustainer1New's method, but it's the same.

Sony support in Canada was kind enough to send me new ones, but my problem persists. As everyone else, I can hear EVERYTHING with NC on.

I remember that, upon getting them in February, I couldn't hear even my own pen tapping the table. At one point I was listening to music in my office while accidentally starting a video on my desktop. I didn't even hear the speakers right next to me until coworkers compained.

But now? Same environment, and I hear even the slightest sounds...

profile.country.GB.title
NonhumanHominid

They sound as bad as my QC35IIs now are, I can hear absolutely everything no matter if ANC is on or off. I want to replace them, but I am obviously not going to be doing so with these now. 

When I first got my Bose - this was before the release of the WH-1000XM3s - I couldn't hear anything with the ANC on, and there was a slight 'pop' when you turned it on. Now there is nothing, and I can hear as much as I can when it's off. I'm autistic and ANC is vital. 

So what to do now…? I do wish tech sites/mags would review a company's tech support/customer service, not just the product. This thread has now run to 38 pages - and Sony thinks everyone is lying…?! Way to treat your customers, Sony - for a premium price, we expect premium support too, y'know… 😠😡🤬🤯

profile.country.GB.title
1ychee
Explorer

Too sad for thousands of 1000XM3 buyers.

I do strongly think that SONY will not fix this problem at all because of some obvious reason.

I will choose APPLE's ANC products in the future. Both SONY and BOSE‘s planned obsolescence strategy is dramatically shortsighted. It seems that they are very happy to push their paid customers to competitors' side.

APPLE: Thank you, SONY! Thank you, BOSE!

profile.country.GB.title
GapsOfTheGod

Are you aware that Apple are the original planned obsolescence masters, right?

profile.country.GB.title
1ychee
Explorer

Yes, they are (were) masters. But things positively changed after they were widely complained about the iPhone 8 battery issue 2 years ago.

At least, they do planned obsolescence much quietly.... ummm ... better than SONY and BOSE in some degree?

profile.country.US.title
Ninyu4

Apple = planned obsolescence and dongle paradise. Thanks, but no thanks!
profile.country.GB.title
NonhumanHominid

Fangirl alert! As far as I'm aware the iPhone 8 didn't have a battery problem. I know there were issues with the logic board in the base model but no issues with the battery. Perhaps you’re thinking of the iPhone 6SE, which had a problem which meant that some wouldn’t switch on, but that only affected units manufactured between October 2018 and August. 

And don't be ridiculous - of COURSE Apple plans obsolescence - the iPhone 6 which, as I’ve just stated was still being manufactured just a couple of months ago, is the last device to support iOS 13. Many people probably won't be aware of this and will pick one up thinking it's a way to get an iPhone for relatively little outlay, they're going to be pretty ***** off when iOS 14 is released next year and their barely-a-year-old phone won't run it, aren't they…? 

And let's not forget the disappearance of the iPhone headphone jack, the cynical (like me!) might opine that was an attempt to get people to shell out for AirPods (which, in my opinion, look utterly ridiculous).

You could also argue that Apple's early adoption of USB-C and Thunderbolt was a ploy force people to shell out for its USB-C and Thunderbolt compatible devices (because nobody else was producing them at the time).

Oh and as this conversation is about headphones, I'm glad you're happy with your Beats, but they really are style over substance. Yes, I've tried them, but the sound is nothing to write home about (I've had better from cans costing a sixth of the price) and the ANC, whilst perfectly acceptable, is a poor relation to Bose and Sony (when they work!).