Join now - be part of our community!

Not working after many years in storage. What could be the problem? I live in bangalore, india.

profile.country.GB.title
Alwayslearning
New

Not working after many years in storage. What could be the problem? I live in bangalore, india.

I live in bangalore, india. This was purchased in 2005. Has been used regularly, and now since 2008 has been in storage. The NI-MH rechargeable battery terminals seem to have a grainy blue green sediment; the OPR shines red -amber when I connect it to AC output with a CD in it, but no music😬

pls direct me to a Sony service support where someone can help repair this.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Darbo25

Your batteries have leaked/oxidised, throw the batteries away, clean up the contacts in whatever it is you purchased in 2008 and but new batteries. 

You can't leave batteries in things for nearly ten years. 

profile.country.GB.title
Alwayslearning
New

Hi darbo25
Thanks for the reply.
Question for you. I had tried operating it by using the external AC output using the adaptor supplied. The CD-RW/R didn’t play although the OPR light kept switching from red to green to Amber and finally switching off?

Are you saying that the discharged batteries have had an effect?

Is there a way you can suggest that I could clean the contacts/ terminals at home itself? Thanks in advance.

alwayslearning

Sent from my iPad
profile.country.GB.title
Darbo25

It depends how much that batteries have leaked,  if it's just a little bit on the battery contacts then you could scratch it off and blow it out, if it's a lot and it's got into the circuit board then it's probably beyond saving. 

With regards to not reading cd's you need to clean the lense,  if it's been in storage that long the lense will be dirty,  for that you'll need an ear bud and some cleaning alcohol, or buy a lense cleaning kit, if the disc is spinning but not reading it'll be your lense. You need to be gentle with this though maybe look at some youtube videos or something. 

profile.country.GB.title
Alwayslearning
New

Hi darbo25,
Thank you so much for replying so promptly.
I think the leaching is quite deep. Its so sad. I cleaned the contacts off
the battery r terminals with vinegar diluted, yet there seems to be a lot
of stuff, further in.
Checked about purchase of new NI-MH rechargeable batteries. They cost a
whopping 2000rupees.
As for the lens cleaning, I think I'll take it to a Sony authorised service
center. I'm not confident of putting my hand to this kind of stuff, which
is altar in such a bad shape. They'll probably take a look at the whole
thing and let me know if the whole thing can be redeemed. For a cost.
Perhaps 600 rupees. I wouldn't spend more. Which is around 10 dollars.

Thank you once again.
alwayslearning.