Join now - be part of our community!

MDR100ABN Noise Cancelling Issue

stleven
Explorer

MDR100ABN Noise Cancelling Issue

I've see one older post on this forum which might be related, but I am experiencing a real issue with using noise cancelling on these headphones.  

It seems that the microphones used as part of this function are too sensitive to the movement of air and/or air pressure changes, because whenever I am walking briskly, perhaps moving my head, and certainly when I am travelling in a train (particularly underground) it seems that external conditions cause the sound to phase/warp (in particular bass) completing ruining the listening experience.  The only way to avoid this phenomenon is to switch off noise cancelling,at which point you get all the other ambient noise.

I am wondering if this is just an unavoidable reality of digital noise cancelling technology on all headphones, and thus experienced by other users, or if perhaps there is something wrong with my particular unit or this particular model?

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Noise cancelling technology is not perfect.  In Sony's manual:

Noise Cancelling Function.jpg

Noise Cancelling - Auto AI.jpg

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
dernawillbern
Explorer

Most noise-cancelling technology is designed to block out the drone of aircraft, road noise or hum of computers, placing a veil of silence over the ears allowing listeners to clearly hear the music without the volume needing to be turned up to 11. But hundreds of ANC headphones are available, making choosing the right pair hard.