Join now - be part of our community!

MacOS (Catalina) and WH-1000XM3 Connection Issues

profile.country.GB.title
kasmond0
Explorer

MacOS (Catalina) and WH-1000XM3 Connection Issues

Hi all, 

I have update the iPhone 6s and the MacBook Air (MBA) (Early 2015) to Catalina.

If I am connecting to either devices (not both at the same time), what I am observing the WM-1000XM3 is disconnecting after a while. What is wierd when I go into bluetooth settings it shows the XM3 are connected. What happens when it disconnects no voice is coming out of the XM3 and all of it now coming out of the speakers of the device (iPhone or MBA). It is quite funny, but not so funny when on the train full of commuters whilst I listen to dance music or at home or shopping...

What I do to remedy this is I reconnect by disconnecting and reconnecting again the XM3 on the iPhone (or MBA).

It is annoying as the frequency of disconnection happens sporadically and not consistent.

I have reset the Bluetooth driver on the iPhone and MBA back to factory defaults. No improvements. 

I have been into the Apple Store and spoken online to Apple, they have pointed me back to Sony. 

Anyone else experiencing this?

21 REPLIES 21
profile.country.GB.title
kasmond0
Explorer

I don't buy that for this reason. The 1000XM3 was working 100% before Catalina was installed on the MBA and before the update on the iPhone. So this implies the headphone is compatible with the device. Once Apple went 64bit with Catalina, the 1000XM3  (and other Sony headphones) started to throw a wobbler. Now, Sony have a legal right under law to make sure the product is "working" as it is was not faulty before Apple upgraded. Since the hardware is still intact this implies that Sony software is incompatible with the new Apple OS. Since Apple have given ample warning to all Vendors (which include Sony) they have demonstrated (through all these faults on the forums) they have not provided the software (firmware) updates to make sure compatibility is maintained and the devices is working as before. Sony has not provided the appropriate "duty of care". With regards to the guarantee, if the product is still under guarantee, then Sony must honour it. Since there was no indication on the packaging (or the website or anywhere else) the 1000XM3 was not compatible with 64bit OS, in specifically the MacOS, then on purchasing how would Consumers (and Suppliers) know this product is not compatible with certain devices running specific OS's. 

The bottom line, Sony have shown utter contempt and inability to fix the problem with their headphones connected to Apple devices/64bit OS. They have demonstrated they want to shift the blame back to the Consumer and expect them to turn a blind eye to a very expensive headphone without any reimbursement of monies. The fact remains, Sony are accountable and responsible. 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Be' aware that technically you don't know what you are talking about. How many bit the Os is managing does not have anything to do with a device connected via an interface (bluetooth in this case) moreover since the driver in the os is written by apple itself 

Just for you to get better information if you want to go legal 

profile.country.GB.title
kasmond0
Explorer

Clearly you have misunderstood the argument and gone off a tangent you troll. The argument is from a higher point given the context of the reply from Sony. I could of gone into the technicalities but given the hundreds of posts on this problem we are not here to do that, we are here to post a problem, Sony are to find the solution. 

Since I "don't know what I am talking about" which implies that you do, why don't you find the solution to our problem or do one and go to those sites that offer lonely people like you help.

profile.country.GB.title
samdofe
New

Hi everyone,

I was not able to connect my WH-1000XM3 with Catalina OS, but after factory reseting my headphones, they successfully paired, no problems and are working fine since then.

I followed this instructions : 

https://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/wh1000xm3/v1/en/contents/TP0001703081.html

Hope it helps!!

profile.country.GB.title
aleprieto
Explorer

I think the solution is to upgrade to version 4.2.2 like Rocky_Raccoon said... is working without disconnection until now 😅

profile.country.GB.title
erajarayan
New

Thank you for this link, I followed the steps and solved my issue.

profile.country.GB.title
mra032
New

Hi bro, I've the same problem with my Mac and headphones WH-1000XM3. The problem appeared after updating my Catalina OS to 10.15.4.

I think it is a Mac problem.

profile.country.GB.title
mra032
New

Thanks bro, I followed the instructions to reset my headphones and it worked successfully.

:wink:

tommyb27
New

I know this was posted quite a while ago but i just came across the solution now.

The issue is that more modern versions of macOS ship with aptX (the specific bluetooth codec used to communicate with these headphones) disabled.

This means that your bluetooth will work with other bluetooth devices and even other headsets (there are other bluetooth audio codecs that other headphones use), but not the WH-1000XM3.

Type this into terminal and then hit enter (make sure you get the capital letters correct)

• sudo defaults write bluetoothaudiod "Enable AptX codec" -bool true

It will ask for your password, type it in (I will look like you're not typing anything) then hit enter

Repeat this with the code below

• sudo defaults write bluetoothaudiod "Enable AAC codec" -bool true

Now try repairing your headphones - should hopefully work!

profile.country.GB.title
kittmatt1
New

I have the same problem with a different version of sony earbuds. I've had them for a year and they work great with my PC and android, but the MacBook my company sent disconnects them every 30 seconds. It's making me want to pull my hair out whenever I try to join google meetings. It's definitely a Mac issue.