Join now - be part of our community!

MacOS (Catalina) and WH-1000XM3 Connection Issues

profile.country.GB.title
kasmond0
Explorer

MacOS (Catalina) and WH-1000XM3 Connection Issues

Hi all, 

I have update the iPhone 6s and the MacBook Air (MBA) (Early 2015) to Catalina.

If I am connecting to either devices (not both at the same time), what I am observing the WM-1000XM3 is disconnecting after a while. What is wierd when I go into bluetooth settings it shows the XM3 are connected. What happens when it disconnects no voice is coming out of the XM3 and all of it now coming out of the speakers of the device (iPhone or MBA). It is quite funny, but not so funny when on the train full of commuters whilst I listen to dance music or at home or shopping...

What I do to remedy this is I reconnect by disconnecting and reconnecting again the XM3 on the iPhone (or MBA).

It is annoying as the frequency of disconnection happens sporadically and not consistent.

I have reset the Bluetooth driver on the iPhone and MBA back to factory defaults. No improvements. 

I have been into the Apple Store and spoken online to Apple, they have pointed me back to Sony. 

Anyone else experiencing this?

21 REPLIES 21
profile.country.DK.title
AskAgain
New

Hi. I'm glad you posted this. I have the same issue with my WH-1000MX2 headphones. 

profile.country.GB.title
qexpres
New

Yes! I am experiencing this problem on my MacBook Pro. Deleting the Bluetooth plist file and resetting NVRAM/PRAM on my MacBook Pro didn't help. I'm not entirely sure whether this a Sony or Apple problem; I just bought my headphone. Also, my Apple keyboard sometimes disconnects and my colleague recently disconnected with his AirPods from his MacBook. Both incidents don't happen as often as the issue with my Sony headphone, though.

I didn't experience this problem on my phone yet, but I also use it less frequently for listening to music.

Headphone: WH-1000XM3

Computer: MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Two Tunderbolt 3 ports)

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

You may check via the app if they are configured to turn off automatically

https://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/hpc/v1/en/contents/TP0001970071.html

profile.country.GB.title
qexpres
New

Turning off didn't work. It's like kasmond0 said: it happens sporadically. Also the headphone won't turn off when it happens and the connected device (MacBook Pro in my case) acts like it is still connected to the headphone. However, the audio can't be heard from the headphone anymore and the "connected" device will start playing audio from its own speakers instead.

profile.country.GB.title
joej03x
New

Same here: It happens randomly, worked fine with High Sierra and occurred after the update to Catalina.

Probably some sort of driver or firmware issue...

profile.country.US.title
Rocky_Raccoon
Explorer

I was having this same exact problem when connecting to my early 2015 macbook pro catalina v10.15.1

I recently updated my headphones to v4.2.2 and Ive stopped having the issue

profile.country.GB.title
daniel.petrovaliev
New

I followed this guide and it fixed my problem with changing output device.

https://www.ikream.com/how-to-fix-problems-with-bluetooth-on-macos-catalina-36499

profile.country.GB.title
kasmond0
Explorer

No - that does not solve the issue. 

profile.country.GB.title
sdfsdfsdaasdfgasdfa
Explorer

I contacted support after trying all the obvious ways and got this reply

"We are sorry to inform you that the device you are using is not compatible with the headphone, hence you may encounter any issues while using the product as we can only guarantee functionality of compatible devices."

If this is true then it is absolutely ridiculous. I don't know whose fault it is Sony's, Apple's or both but you expect a £300 pair of headphones to work with the latest version of a major operating system.