Join now - be part of our community!

MacOS (Catalina) and WH-1000XM3 Connection Issues

profile.country.GB.title
kasmond0
Explorer

MacOS (Catalina) and WH-1000XM3 Connection Issues

Hi all, 

I have update the iPhone 6s and the MacBook Air (MBA) (Early 2015) to Catalina.

If I am connecting to either devices (not both at the same time), what I am observing the WM-1000XM3 is disconnecting after a while. What is wierd when I go into bluetooth settings it shows the XM3 are connected. What happens when it disconnects no voice is coming out of the XM3 and all of it now coming out of the speakers of the device (iPhone or MBA). It is quite funny, but not so funny when on the train full of commuters whilst I listen to dance music or at home or shopping...

What I do to remedy this is I reconnect by disconnecting and reconnecting again the XM3 on the iPhone (or MBA).

It is annoying as the frequency of disconnection happens sporadically and not consistent.

I have reset the Bluetooth driver on the iPhone and MBA back to factory defaults. No improvements. 

I have been into the Apple Store and spoken online to Apple, they have pointed me back to Sony. 

Anyone else experiencing this?

21 REPLIES 21
VanacKP
Explorer

I have a similar issue but with the WH-1000XM2 since I upgraded to OSX Catalina.

As soon as the headset connects, it will disconnect a few seconds later, and in the Sound Panel in the Output/Input tab the WH-1000XM2 will not appear.
After trying all the suggestions of resetting the bluetooth module, deleting the bluetooth plist, resetting the PRAM and such, I found a solution that works for me:

sudo kill -9 `ps ax | grep 'coreaudiod' | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}'`

After killing the CoreAudio process, I was able to connect my WH-1000XM2 and hold the connection.
Maybe the issue is similar to the WH-1000XM3?

Good luck.

profile.country.GB.title
loopology
Explorer

I'm on Mojave, and:

sudo killall coreaudiod

did not improve the situation.

I started having the same problem with a pair of Bose-In-Ears so it definitely seems to be a Mac OS X issue.