Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio VGN A517B Goes Slow

Adaplunk
Visitor

Vaio VGN A517B Goes Slow

Hi!

My aging VGN A517B is getting slower and slower. I've cleaned up the disk, I've cleaned up the registry and nothing speeds it up. Is it a memory problem? I have 512MB installed. Would a memory upgrade help or do I need to do something else? Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.en_GB.title
markj1993
Visitor

I would say the memory might be playing a part but im not sure. Have you limited the start up programs, this could help speed it up a bit.

Also are you talking about it in general or just the start up?

Mark.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Adaplunk and welcome.

It could just be that things move on and software becomes more demanding and other PCs seem a lot quicker!!

Depending on what sort of applications you run, increasing the memory should help. It is fairly inexpensive as you can fill your Vaio with 2048MB of RAM for £23 - have a look here: -

Crucial.com

The next thing to look at is a faster hard drive. A fast 7,200 RPM 160GB SATA drive would cost about £42 - like this one: -

Hitachi 7200 RPM 160GB SATA

Any other hardware upgrades would not really be cost effective.

You could reinstall the XP operating system or alternatively use a software solution - something like System Mechanic 8

But the choice is yours - you may prefer to put this cash towards the replacement fund for your Vaio.

:thinking:

Adaplunk
Visitor

Thanks - I've just upgraded to 2 GB of memory, bought from Crucial and my Vaio now runs much faster. My next challenge is buy a replacement battery - the Sony Store doesn't stock batteries for Vaios this old. Can anyone help?