Join now - be part of our community!

storage and backup

PaulDanon
Visitor

storage and backup

What do folks think about the Vaio-policy of keeping your files on drive D? It may be neat in terms of separating data- from system-files, but it's against Microsoft's policy of keeping stuff in My Documents. When you come to back up, you have to specify drive D as well as MyDocs. Do some people just use MyDocs anyway? Can one re-allocate the partitions so that drive-D is smaller or, even (Vaioheresy of Vaioheresies), abolished?

It's some months since I've had my Vaio and my hard disk now contains all kinds of crazy stuff, some of it voluntarily installed. Is it time I created some more recovery-disks and, if so, will they contain all the new stuff as well as what I had when I bought the Vaio?

Does anyone know of a freeware program which lets you back up to a series of c. 0.7GB CDs? The idea is that the backup file is bigger than 0.7GB but it's stretched across several disks. We used to be able to this in the grand old days of 3.5" floppies.

BTW, my Vaio is called Lynn. Geddit?

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Paul,

A lot of questions there!

Firstly, the main advantage of keeping your personal data on the D drive is that in the event of finding it necessary to carry out a system restore, using the OEM recovery disks, the D drive will remain intact (assuming that you only choose to format the C drive).

On the same theme I recommend that you move the My Documents folder over to the D drive (for the above reason). To do this right click the My Documents icon and select properties > Target tab > Move.

If you are talking about creating recovery disks using the Vaio Recovery Utility, this will only address and create a backup from the hidden recovery partition. This is unaffected by any third party program that you have installed and will recover your notebook back to “as delivered”.

If you are looking for a more comprehensive backup/recovery utility then I would recommend Acronis True Image. Not Freeware but how much is peace of mind worth?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I have an external drive for backup and use DVD media

PaulDanon
Visitor

I recommend that you move the My Documents folder over to the D drive (for the above reason). To do this right click the My Documents icon and select properties > Target tab > Move.
Thanks for your trouble in replying in such detail. Where on the D-drive do you recommend I put My Documents? The root? Will NTBACKUP find it after I've moved it and bundle it in with all the stuff it promises to back up, such as cookies and favourites?
If you are talking about creating recovery disks using the Vaio Recovery Utility, this will only address and create a backup from the hidden recovery partition. This is unaffected by any third party program that you have installed and will recover your notebook back to “as delivered”.
Thanks. Most helpful. So there's no need to keep making recovery-disks. They basically put you back to square one. BTW, do you suggest making two sets of recovery-disks and keeping them in different buildings?

kee-lo_

BTW, do you suggest making two sets of recovery-disks and keeping them in different buildings?

I think that's a good idea Paul

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Where on the D-drive do you recommend I put My Documents? The root?

Yes in the root of D but still in the My Documents folder.

Will NTBACKUP find it after I've moved it and bundle it in with all the stuff it promises to back up, such as cookies and favourites?

I don’t use the native Windows backup utility, but cookies and favorites are not actually located in ‘My Documents’ but in Documents and settings\Username (or Default User)\Local settings……You will not be moving theses, just anything that is in your ‘My Documents’ folder. It may be wise to create a separate backup set for My Documents.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
kee-lo_

I use Acronis TrueImage at least once every quarter

PaulDanon
Visitor

I use Acronis TrueImage at least once every quarter
Thanks. I now have Ghost. Where does one put those enormous files, please?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Paul Danon,

You could either burn them to a DVD or invest in an external hard drive and store them on there...:smileyhappy: