Join now - be part of our community!

SigmaTel soundcard drivers for XL302 and Vista SP1

profile.country.GB.title
russieb
New

SigmaTel soundcard drivers for XL302 and Vista SP1

As some of you may have noticed if you try to install Vista SP1, that was released yesterday, it is not possible. This is due to the fact that it requires the SigmaTel sound card drivers to be upgraded - SigmaTel® High Definition Audio CODEC. Primarily the Stwrt.sys to a version later than 6.10.5511.0. See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=948343# for details

The best I can come up with is 6.10.5379.0. My Vaio XL302 currently being 6.10.5290.0. There is nothing on Windows update either.

The company that now owns SigmaTel - IDT, suggest going to Sony, see http://www.idt.com/?id=3969. But the Vaio support page (US incidentally) is where I found 6.10.5379.0. The UK page list no updates for sound drivers at all!

Can anyone help with this matter? I'm sure it is affecting a lot of Vaio users.
Thanks.

27 REPLIES 27
profile.country.GB.title
russieb
New

Since checking http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk for updated drivers, Sony have posted - Microsoft Hotfix Package KB937287.

It is supposedly a hotfix that is a prerequisite for Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1). From what I've read, this should have come down with automatic update anyway (which I have switched on).

I ran the package anyway, and needless to say, this does nothing to address the issue of the SigmaTel soundcard drivers.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Can anyone help with this matter? I'm sure it is affecting a lot of Vaio users.

Sony are aware of the issue and are looking into the problem.. :wink:

profile.country.GB.title
russieb
New

Sony are aware of the issue and are looking into the problem.. :wink:

Thanks. At least Sony are aware of the issue! I don't suppose an ETA is known, as it is very frustrating.

I assume no updated driver is available then?

Vista SP1 has been in the public domain for months, for the specific reason of avoiding problems like this.

Come on Sony pull your finger out!

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Vista SP1 has been in the public domain for months, for the specific reason of avoiding problems like this.

Come on Sony pull your finger out!

It appears that Sony are not alone with Vista SP1 issues..

ITTroll
Visitor

I installed SP1 OK on my XL201 with no problems using the offline version of the installer.

I think Microsoft are only blocking it because sometimes the devices listed aren't automatically redetected after installation. It is not a big job to manual reinstall the device but Microsoft didn't want the user experience to be affected.

profile.country.GB.title
russieb
New

It does sounds fairly straight forward. So it just needs the soundcard reinstalled after applying SP1? Using the old drivers? I just assumed the old drivers would not work at all.

Has anyone else had success using the standalone SP1 installer?

profile.country.GB.title
russieb
New

I have been doing more research on this issue. Other Vaio models are being offered SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC Driver 6.10.5614.0 via the Vaio Update. MS claim problems exists with 6.10.5511.0 or earlier

Will this work with all Vaio models?

I wasn't even offered 6.10.5379.0, I had to go to the US site to get it for my VGX-XL302. This is the latest I could find that is directly "associated" with the XL302.

The more I read into the problem, the more Vaio users are having major problems with Sony SigmaTel drivers, or lack of.

I'm still not sure about using the SP1 standalone installer.

Thalamus - Do you have any information on a release for a new driver? As you mentioned Sony was looking into the issue.

Thanks.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Thalamus - Do you have any information on a release for a new driver? As you mentioned Sony was looking into the issue.

Not at the moment, we are still waiting for further feedback.. :slight_frown:

ITTroll
Visitor

I'm still not sure about using the SP1 standalone installer.

I installed SP1 using the standalone installer last month when it was released to enterprise and didn't have any installation problems. In my case the sound card continued to work after installation and didn't require any extra intervention. I am using driver v6.10.5379.0 with the output configured for SP/DIF.

My understanding of the problem is that in some cases the device is not detected correctly during the hardware enumeration stage and as a result the driver is accidently removed from the system. In this case all that is required is to manually reinstall the driver through Device Manager. If you are not comfortable with this possibility and the action required then wait for Sony to release an updated driver. However be prepared to wait for some time, the "latest" video card driver we have is a year old...