Join now - be part of our community!

A VGN-FW31E that wont play Blu-ray discs

spanners647
Visitor

A VGN-FW31E that wont play Blu-ray discs

Hi,i've just bought a VGN-FW31E laptop,i got a blu-ray film to watch on it but it wont play,i hope there is someone out there who can help me. :slight_smile:

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi spanners647 and welcome.

What have you tried? Do you get any error messages?

What program are you trying to play the Blu Ray with? Are you using WinDVD BD 8 for VAIO?

:thinking:

spanners647
Visitor

Hi Blencogo
I dont get any error messages,i dont have WinDVD BD 8,is it free and where do i find it?
Thanx for your reply

profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor
BernietheBolt
Visitor

The combination of X-black LCD, true 16:9, LED screen technology, multimedia buttons, integrated webcam and latest specifications provides an unrivalled mobile HD entertainment experience in the new FW series
Incredible realism 16.4” screen with 16:9 aspect ratio and 1600x900 resolution perfectly captures HD. Real life colours with 100% colour purity.
Your everyday HDWatch Blu-ray Disc™ movies without black bars on the high resolution display or enjoy in full HD on your HD TV via HDMI.
Sony Style exclusiveCustomize your VAIO FW with a SSD flash drive, Windows Business and much more. Only available at Sony Style
Learn more
Picture gallery

https://shop.sonystyle-europe.com/SonyStyle/VAIO-Laptop-PCs/FW-Series-16-4%22

Why do Sony say it does then?

profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

The combination of X-black LCD, true 16:9, LED screen technology, multimedia buttons, integrated webcam and latest specifications provides an unrivalled mobile HD entertainment experience in the new FW series
Incredible realism 16.4” screen with 16:9 aspect ratio and 1600x900 resolution perfectly captures HD. Real life colours with 100% colour purity.
Your everyday HDWatch Blu-ray Disc™ movies without black bars on the high resolution display or enjoy in full HD on your HD TV via HDMI.
Sony Style exclusiveCustomize your VAIO FW with a SSD flash drive, Windows Business and much more. Only available at Sony Style
Learn more
Picture gallery

https://shop.sonystyle-europe.com/SonyStyle/VAIO-Laptop-PCs/FW-Series-16-4%22

Why do Sony say it does then?

Where do Sony state the FW31E has a BD drive?

Models in the FW range have BD drives but the specifications for the FW31E state that it does not have BD drive.

spanners647
Visitor

And it says on the box it came in "Blu-ray combo drive"

profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

And it says on the box it came in "Blu-ray combo drive"

The Sony FW31E specifications page must be incorrect :thinking:

What drive is listed in device manager?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hmmmmmmmm The FW31E specifications say no blu-ray here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/specifications/specifications.asp?site=voe_en_GB_cons&c=0&s=VGN-FW&m=...

However, this is very confusing because the FW21E did have a BD combo drive.

If it says BD Combo on the box then I will ask Sony to check for us!

:thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
rastrus
New

There is a review of the VGN-FW31E in the April 2009 edition of Computer Shopper (page 79).

It says it is an updated version of the VGN-FW11E and little has changed apart from the inclusion of a Blu-ray drive.

About the software included, it mentions WinDVD BD 8 for playing Blu-ray movies.

The optical drive specifications in the summary box are DVD+/-RW +/-DL, DVD-RAM, BD-ROM.

Have you tried typing InterVideo in the search box located in the start menu to find the Blu-ray player? Otherwise it should be located in C:\Program Files\InterVideo\DVDBD8\WinDVD.exe.