Join now - be part of our community!

Using pc (xp) as media server KDL-22EX320

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
terryelectron
Visitor

Using pc (xp) as media server KDL-22EX320

I have a wired  network with PC  XP operating system and I can set up a media server using windows media player 11,this allows me to play media on the TV via the wired network but I cannot find the server via my wireless network although I can access internet and web videos via wireless.

I am using a BT homehub wireless router - any suggestions.

( want to use the server via wireless because the TV location does not have a wired network socket)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
terryelectron
Visitor

I found that using windows media player 11 as server the TV lost contact with the server at times so I tried the free software Serviio DLNA media server on my XP PC and that setup and worked fine.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Bravia55HX

On the remote click Home- Settings- Network- then wireless set up, you may need to enter the password for your wireless set up, that should do it.

Message was edited by: Bravia55HX923

Message was edited by: Bravia55HX923

terryelectron
Visitor

Thanks for your reply, I have done the wireless set up and can get access to  internet and internet bbc iplayer etc ok via wireless.The problem is I have the media server set up on my wired network which is the same router as my wireless but the tv can see the server when connecting wired network but not via the wireless network?

Bravia55HX

Ok, sorry about that, i know on windows 7 you can go into Network and sharing centre and set up a Homegroup for sharing media files perhaps you (as i cannot remember) have the same on XP ?, once set up in there you should see the tv under show devices on local network, its easy for one to sit here and say do this do that, i find it easier sitting in front of it and working it out, good luck with it.

terryelectron
Visitor

Thanks for your suggestions, I will have to look into what XP can provide I don't know wether I have to put a bridge between my wired network and wireless network .

profile.country.GB.title
jazuk1
Explorer

you need to set up the directory or folder in XP as a shared drive and set the permissions. Even in windows7 i can only see one directory i.e. recorded tv on the tv even though i have other directories and drives set up in my homegroup. To get the tv to see them i individually shared each folder or drive on my server and the tv finds them.

if you cant get xp to work, i did have issues ith XP as this is not a upnp server so my other wifi and lan connected media streamers could not find the XP drives or files install a upnp server software like tversity (which sony used as a benchmark). this way you can select which directories, dives and files to stream. It also transcodes for the tv if watching odd file format and it can download internet stuff ready to watch/ stream.

I have windows 7 now on my server so never needed it, I did reinstall it as previously mentioned with the tv not seeing other drives until I manually shared them and it worked with a bit of tweaking. windows 7 allows you from the PC and through media player to play to whcih basically allows you via media player to select an album or playlist or video to be streamed directly to the tv or medi streamer. Great at parties simply pass the netbook around for people to select the media and it plays on the tv. you can do the same with an android app as well

terryelectron
Visitor

Thanks for your suggestions

Yes I had setup a folder as a shared directory and I could access it on the wired network to TV but not via the wireless to TV. Since my last post I have put a wireless device  on a usb in my computer and set it up for access to my homehub I can now access the media server using wireless on my TV. I did originally think the router would take care of the link from wired to wireless network but it did not.

Thanks again for the information you provided.

terryelectron
Visitor

I found that using windows media player 11 as server the TV lost contact with the server at times so I tried the free software Serviio DLNA media server on my XP PC and that setup and worked fine.

terryelectron
Visitor

Since installing Serviio on my computer I find that I can access the serviio media server with my TV without a USB wireless device on my PC, my setup being wired network for PC's and wireless for my laptop both using Homehub broadband router.