Join now - be part of our community!

Sound issue on Bravia 40" TV

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
losinj
New

Sound issue on Bravia 40" TV

Hi,

I recently upgraded my LCD TV to a Bravia KDL-40EX43B with built-in Blu-ray.  Coming from the speakers is a strange buzzing noise unlike normal mains hum, even when mute is activated, which I find intrusive on low volume settings (as necessitated by living in a flat, especially after dark).  The supplier gave me a replacement but it is just the same.  Has anyone else had this on EX (or other) series Sony TVs and got it fixed?  My previous Toshiba was fine in this respect.

I'm reluctant to lose this TV because it's features are just what I was looking for, but when it makes more background noise than the whole of my home cinema system it's something that needs sorting.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Stange one - Noise levels are obviously very subjective, but might be worth contacting your local service centre to get them to have a look at it.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
surfer75
Visitor

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue - a constant whirr in the back ground of the tv, almost like its coming from the blu ray, although I am not sure it is!!!

I have not contacted SONY about this yet!

Is this fault fixable? I don't want to get rid of the tv as every other aspect is great!

Any advice would be appreciated

Regards

MP

Catmambo
Contributor

Stange one - Noise levels are obviously very subjective, but might be worth contacting your local service centre to get them to have a look at it.

profile.country.GB.title
losinj
New

You must be right about the subjectiveness, Catmambo. The service engineer didn't notice anything wrong, said the noise was "normal" and to be expected.  Crikey.  It's a odd definition of normal when my four-year-old budget Tosh' was whisper quiet by comparison.  No doubt the result of a cheaply designed power stage breaking into a similarly cheap audio output stage.  But I would never have expected it to be so obvious (to me) in a top brand like Sony.

I could conclude that, as manufacturers endeavour to squeeze ever more whizzy features like Internet and wi-fi (not primary considerations for me) into their budget ranges, technical standards in some fundamental areas are being dumbed down in the hope that the average buyer doesn't notice.  Does this mean I am now expected to buy premium range models just to avoid annoying niggles in the basics?  I would pray not.

Most current TVs seem to get a slating for their weedy sound.  Unsurprising, considering manufacturers' relentless pursuit of ever slimmer, more "fashionable" models, into which they must inevitably shoehorn increasingly pathetic speakers.  It would be so nice if they didn't also insult us by adding permanent audible garbage to the sound.

frighty
Visitor

I have the same issue on my EX37403, done a little research online and it appears to be common on these tv's..

I found reference to a Sony technical bulletin

Symptom: An audible squeal noise may come from the Inverter board, especially at low speaker volume level. The sound may
slightly change depending on the selected picture mode.

Cause: In the Inverter board, a lack of RTV between core and bobbin causes a gap which provokes the noise. Based on a
visual inspection of these transformers, RTV was not properly applied although the quantity might be enough.

I am asking to have my inverter board replaced under waranty. I would suggest anyone else who has the problem does the same.

Tinklepaw
Visitor

I've got exactly the same issue, the pitch of the buzzing noise changes as the picture changes .

Did the replacement of the inverter board fix the buzzing?

surfer75
Visitor

YEP, I GOT THE SAME WHIRRING/HUMMING SOUND AND IT REALLY DOES MY HEAD IN!!! YOU CAN'T EVEN STOP IT BY USING THE SURROUND SOUND - IT CONTINUES ON MUTE. YOU HAVE TO DROWN THE SOUND BY HIGH VOLUME LEVELS - NOT GOOD!

HAVE CONTACTED SONY BUT AM AWAITING A REPLY - THIS IS AN OBVIOUS FAULT AND THE TV SHOULD BE REPLACED/REPAIRED FREE OF CHARGE.

OTHER THAN THIS I LOVE THE TV - SO COME ON SONY SORT IT OUT!!!

ANYBODY ELSE WITH ANY OTHER ANSWERS OR IDEAS PLEASE LET US KNOW

profile.country.GB.title
losinj
New

Frighty, please feed back and let us know the outcome of the replacement.  The bulletin is not clear whether the noise is purely mechanical and emanates from the circuit board, or if it is being induced electronically into the speaker outputs.

frighty
Visitor

*****UPDATE*****

I have just had the engineer roung to check the TV, he took the back of and confirmed inverter board, it's so obvious once the back is off, you can pinpoint the exact point where it is buzzing/squeeling..

He has gone off to order the parts, and I will get a call to arrange an appointment for them to come back and change it here at my home..

I will update again once the part is changed.. Next week sometime.

frighty
Visitor

OK, so I have now had the inverter board changed and there is a massive improvement, the squeal/buzz is all but gone, unless you put you ear really close to the back of the tv, but who does that? I would say when on mute you can still just about hear it so all in all it was worth it, much happier now.