Join now - be part of our community!

Sony KDL-24EX325 - UK availability and BBC iPlayer?

profile.country.en_GB.title
mads64738
Visitor

Sony KDL-24EX325 - UK availability and BBC iPlayer?

Hello,

Following the release of Sony's KDL-24EX320, it would appear that the planned Freeview HD feature is no longer included... :slight_frown:

In mainland Europe, Sony has released the KDL-24EX325 which appears to be the same model but with a DVB-S/S2 satellite tuner!  For me, this appears to be perfect! :slight_smile:  However, this model doesn't appear to be available in Sony's UK stores... :slight_frown:

I have spoken to an Austrian electronics store who ship items to the UK, but have a few things to clarify:

- Is the EPG for the 24EX320 and 24EX325 the same?  Will I be able to see (on Freeview/DVB-T), the normal 7-day EPG, or will I only see "now/next" across all services (DVB-T/S/S2)?

- What happens with Bravia Internet Video services?  Are these localised based on model?  I would like to have the benefits of obtaining the 'free to air' satellite services, but do not wish to lose access to BBC iPlayer.  If I connect the 24EX325 and perform a first-time start, will I be able to get all of the UK widgets and video services?

- Does the 24EX325 support MHEG, required for "red button" services?

Appreciate your thoughts and thanks in advance.

Tags (3)
10 REPLIES 10
Catmambo
Contributor

Indeed the BRAVIA Internet video features are geo-filtered, so iPlayer won't work outside of the UK I'm afraid.

Thanks

Message was edited by: Catmambo

mads64738
Visitor

Hello,

Many thanks for your reply!

I should have been a little clearer! :slight_smile:  I would be using this television in the UK, however, as I cannot seem to purchase the model in the UK, my aim is to buy it from a store somewhere in mainland Europe.

My concern is that as this model wasn't destined for the UK, widgets and Bravia Internet Video services for the UK would not be available.

May I confirm that if I bring the television into the UK, it'll have the same widgets and video services as a UK-sourced 24EX320?

Thanks again! :slight_smile:

Catmambo
Contributor

In theory, just to be clear I can't guarantee it as certainly this wasn't the case last year. However the platform has been standardised now and so I think you should be ok.

Thanks

Tommmo
Explorer

Hi mads64738, I wonder if you can help me?

I bought this TV under the impression that it had Freeview HD as most places I looked, including Sony's website and my local Sony Centre, said so. Now I have an otherwise great Full HD 1080p TV that DOES NOT receive Freeview HD. Grrr. what a stupid limitation. I want a high quality 24in HD telly.

So when you said "it would appear that the planned Freeview HD feature is no longer included", where did you get that information from? I think there is a strong chance the hardware is perfectly capable but the firmware prevents it. It uses identical firmware to the bigger Bravia tellies that do have Freeview HD. In light of this fairly big screw up (the Sony Centre admitted as much), I want some action from Sony!

Thanks in advance.

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi Tommmo - nothing to do with the firmware, it simply doesn't have the DVB-T2 tuner required to receive Freeview HD. Not sure any manufacturers offer a 24" Freeview HD models as the T2 tuner is more expensive than the traditional DVB-T tuner for Freeview. For example - cheapest Freeview HD Set top box on Amazon is about £44 compared to standard Freeview boxes which you can get for around £10-£15 upwards.

Thanks

Tommmo
Explorer

OK thanks Catmambo, sorry I mentioned "zero extra cost", that was not really important. This TV may or may not use a chipset capable of receiving HD, possibly Sony Semis CXD2820R but could be the old DVB-T CXD2817R (after a quick Google), so I may have no upgrade path.

What does matter is that I bought a TV that was described as having Freeview HD but it does not. This has been corrected now by Sony but that is too late for me. I have not got what I expected for my money. The TV is otherwise very good but I thought I was buying a model on which I can watch high def telly and that would not date quickly as it supported the most up to date terrestrial and online standards/services. Except that it doesn't. So I would like to know how Sony can give me what I paid for. I doubt I would have paid £320 if I thought I was getting low def.

I am also very interested to know how the OP knew that this model was originally planned to have Freeview HD.

Catmambo
Contributor

Hiya - if the TV isn't what you thought you were getting, best take it back to the store you purchased it from and see if they will change it for you.

Thanks

mads64738
Visitor

Hi Tommo,

Thanks for contributing to this thread.

Why did I think this television had Freeview HD?  It was mentioned in Sony's launch material in January and listed as a feature on Sony's UK website.  If you perform a quick Internet search, you'll see a number of suppliers are still listing it as a feature. :neutral:

It looks like you're not the only one caught out... Check out the other tv/av forums (AVForums, What HiFi) and you'll see a number of consumers have thought this television had Freeview HD (DVB-T2 support).

As you've probably seen, Sony have now updated their website to remove the feature from the smaller EX televisions.  As Catmambo as said, best bet is to return the television if you're not happy with it.

Based on what Catmambo as said earlier in this thread, I'm going to buy it's sister model - the 24EX325 - from a supplier in Austria.  This model has DVB-S2 (satellite tuner) so for me, it seems like a good compromise and a way to receive the "free to air" HD channels.

Cheers! :slight_smile:

mads64738
Visitor

Hi Catmambo,

Many thanks for your reply (16th April).

Ok - well, I cannot see a reason why if I bring this television into the UK, your platforms would still think it's in Austria :smileysilly:, so looks like I'll order this set and hook it up to a satellite feed.  Hopefully, I'll get the best of both worlds (HD and BBC iPlayer/UK content).

I've found a helpful supplier in Austria, so fingers crossed, it'll arrive in one piece - once they have stock.

Thanks for your help! :slight_smile: