Join now - be part of our community!

SONY BRAVIA KDL60W605B Smart 60 inch LED TV screen problem x2

misterm2015
Explorer

SONY BRAVIA KDL60W605B Smart 60 inch LED TV screen problem x2

Hi

On Saturday, we bought a Sony Bravia KDL60W605B from Curry's in Brighton (Old Shoreham Road).

When we got home and switched the TV on, we immediately noticed foggy patches of light on the screen on each of the bottom corners of the screen, along with a few fainter patches down the edges of the screen. When viewing normal TV & mobies, it is barely noticable, but while watching a film like Prometheus, with lots of dark, the patches were very noticable.

We messed around with the backlight settings, which did help a little, resulting in a much darker screen though.

Luckily we bought a warranty, so called the warranty help line, who told us to return the tv for an exchange.

We got home this evening with the new exchanged TV, only to find exactly the same issue, but worse. the photo's below don't really show the extent of the problem.

Thinking of returning theTV tomorrow for a full refund and warranty refund, as £850 is a lot of money for such a bad picture.

Anyone else had to return their KDL60W605B?

Could there be a simple fix (the latest software installed upon first power up)?

tv1.jpg

tv2.jpg

tv3.jpg

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

My advice is, if you are not happy with the TV, return it to your retailer for an exchange.  After all, you are the one that needs to be happy and satisfied with what you have purchased.

Some reading for you though:

http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/backlight-bleeding.php

https://www.avforums.com/threads/what-does-backlight-bleed-look-like.672490/

Cheers

misterm2015
Explorer

Couldn't agree more Quinnicus.

Just returned 2nd TV for another exchange. This time was told the latest TV was from a diffeerent batch from the first 2 tv's, got this one from PC World this time, as they are part of the same group as Curry's.

Guess what... same issue, this time in a big ring, right around the screen.

Weirdly, if I lightly wipe the sleeve of my jumper over the screen, the patches seem to move... ummm. Might expect that on an LCD, not an LED screen.

Maybe I have really annoyed a tv fairy at some point and been cursed, as I can't find anyone else online having the same trouble.

I have to say though, the staff at Curry's and PC World have all been great.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your certainly not having much luck.  Although the 'perfect' panel is hard to get. 

Suggestion : Could you ask PCWorld/Curry's to set them up in the shop - so you could hopefully pick the one that is good?  Alternatively, if you cant seem to get one that your happy with, could you find a different model?  Sony's 2015 range should be out shortly ?

PS: TV Devil NOT fairy :slight_smile:

misterm2015
Explorer

Hey Quinnicus

I did actually suggest that, when I picked up the 3rd TV, but Curry's had already sent the previous one back to the warehouse and Sony (along with the USB stick I forgot to remove form the back, doh!) and PC World were just about to close.

The reason I've persevered with this TV; is because it's suck a good price for a 60" at £849. I was looking at others models too, as you suggest, but most that size seem to have 3D (not that interested) and over my humble budget.

I gave the screen another very gentle wipe in a circular motion with a very soft clean cloth, just enough to give a light halo around the cloth on the screen (if that makes sense) which, so far, seems to have almost completely resolved the issue. I doubt Sony would ever suggest that as a solution.

I asked in both shops whether transporting the tv on it's back (still in the box of course) could have caused the problem, both shops said that might only be a problem if the tv's were plasma, but shouldn't be a problem with LED tv's.

My very uneducated guess might be that the issue may have been caused by the TV's sitting in a cold warehouse over winter?

If the issue comes back, I'll drop an update here.   :slight_smile:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool - Thanks for the update.  Curious to know if it was a simple wiping the screen.  I have my fingers crossed.  Hopefully 3 times a charm :grin:

profile.country.en_GB.title
hcr_hassen

Sadly, it's a very common problem in LCDs. If I'm not mistaken, it's more likely to happen, or is more severe, in larger TVs. See this for example: http://www.rtings.com/info/black-uniformity-tvs-clouding-and-flashlighting

Although temperature does seem to affect LCDs, I don't think that's the cause. Maybe it's a combination of where and how the backlight and diffusers are arranged, along with LCD or diffuser sensitivity to physical pressure. Combine that with build/assembly techniques, lax quality assurance, and not enough customers complaining or returning such sets, and there you have it.

By the way, what they call LED TVs is LCD just like any other. The difference is that the backlight is LEDs rather than CCFL.

Anghelina
New

HI have brought just two days ago the same TV! Thought that is LED screen, as it was a bit strange that it looks more bonker that Sony Bravia 55". At the Currys they told me it's thiker cose it is an older model. Well, I said to my self that they know better! Once I got home I've opened the Sony Television Manual and what I saw - LCD Screen preccaution...now, why would they advice me about LCD when I have brought an LED! I'll post the foto. Acctually it is a backlight LED and LCD screen...I feel Like I have been cheated !!! As my previous LG was LED screen as per manual guide!

I just do not know what to do!

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

There is not real LED Tv in the world, just LCD with LED backlight. Name it LED was a Samsung marketing strategy that seems has worked out letting people believe they buy a completely different technology...

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI there

LED TV is an industry term used for the backlighting of the TVs.  There are no such things as pure LED TVs.  Your LG TV was also an LCD panel with LED backlights.

See this article which may explain things better:

http://www.techradar.com/news/television/home-cinema/led-tv-what-you-need-to-know-900600

Cheers