Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Bravia and Keyboards! sony tries to enter the 21 century

sony_baloney
Explorer

Sony Bravia and Keyboards! sony tries to enter the 21 century

My parents recently asked me to help them buy a television (as they are a little over 70 years) they wanted something up to date and something they could do some light surfing of the internet and the smart tv's seemed the right way to go. We browsed around some local superstores and eventually we bought a Sony Bravia KDL-42W653A smart tv we looked at others but sony seemed to have the best picture and build quality.

On arriving home we opened the box, installed the tv, set up and joined the wifi internet wham bam this is great! then we came to surfing the internet ................................@_p.....................snnnnnnnnaaaaaaaaaiiiiiilllllllllllsssssss pace OMG! I think it took me around 2 mins fiddling around on the remote number(not qwerty) pad just to type a simple url in the address search, my parents were like ok nice picture and easy set up but we need a keyboard ( as eyesight wasn't what it used to be).

So we searched the internet and forums for a keyboard omg w-t-f! Sony dont make a keyboard Sony muilti million dollar company dont make a simple keyboard! then I read some other threads... use a lap top or smart phone! ok use a laptop why bother with the tv they have just bought if they are going to sit watching TV with a laptop on their lap and I'm a fraid they don't own a smart phone.

So basically is there any hope for a keyboard or any other device that would help here?

9 REPLIES 9
sony_baloney
Explorer

malina10 wrote:

Hi,

I found set keyboard and mouse for Sony Bravia but do not know if is it realy ok.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Wireless-MINI-Keyboard-Mouse-Set-for-Sony-Bravia-KDL42W670A-Smart-TV...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Wireless-MINI-Keyboard-Mouse-Set-for-Sony-KDL-47W805A-Smart-TV-/3107...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Wireless-MINI-Keyboard-Mouse-Set-for-Sony-KDL-46W905A-Smart-TV-/4006...

Cheers for the heads up there.... I called the company whom those links lead to and they were really helpful, I can't use a mouse with this TV but they have a keyboard for around £20. 

Thanks SONY for nothing!! looks like some small company on an auction site came to the rescue

pff multi billion dollar 17th centry company!!

Catz2015
New

This TV is a great disappointment, the remote is not at all friendly, it takes ages to type in data, and to use for skype time consuming.

Skype cameras are limited to those of Sony, (another £90 down the drain), log in passwords have to be retyped using same remote and so with difficulty.

Recording is limited to the programme that you are already watching - and so is effectible of no benefit at all.

Keyboards are problematic and which we have not yet solved.

Jan 2015

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I'll try to answer your questions:

@Catz2015 wrote:

This TV is a great disappointment, the remote is not at all friendly, it takes ages to type in data, and to use for skype time consuming.

If you have a smart phone or tablet, you can download "Quick remote:TV SideView Sony" available on googles play store.

@Catz2015 wrote:

Skype cameras are limited to those of Sony, (another £90 down the drain), log in passwords have to be retyped using same remote and so with difficulty.

Yes, unfortunately you cannot install other webcams to the TV, this is because it is simply not possible to install all the required drivers from all the different makes of webcams.  Unfortunately you cannot blame Sony if you purchased another branded webcam.  In regards to retyping passwords, see answer above.

@Catz2015 wrote:

Recording is limited to the programme that you are already watching - and so is effectible of no benefit at all.

The recording features of the TV were never ment to rival fully featured PVR recorders.  Its an add-on benefit for those that wish to record the occasional program or pause live tv etc.  You can record a program when TV is in standby mode.

@Catz2015 wrote:

Keyboards are problematic and which we have not yet solved.

Sony has conducted research into keyboards before.  In general terms, there simply is not a call for keyboards to be connected to the TV.  The home consumer now has various other devices such as smart phones and tablets, of which Sony has developed various apps to help interact with the TV.

Hope these at least explains things a little.

Cheers

profile.country.en_GB.title
hcr_hassen

I think a lot of webcams use the generic USB video class:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_video_device_class

If so, a generic driver should do, just like keyboard and mice (HID) don't need special drivers.

Catz2015
New

We do not have a smart phone or tablet, your implied suggestion that we should use one is irrelevant, while millions may have smart phones and tablets million don’t, and Sony failed to make adequate provision for the 2nd but also large group of millions who expect and should get a simple friendly interface, to use.

In fact there is legislation in the UK that provision must be made for those with disability, including appropriate accommodation in the design of goods and services.

As to the explanation on drivers for web cams being too numerous to include, if XP a 15 year old programme, can include suitable generic drivers well why not Sony. The explanation you gave is trite.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Im sorry Catz2015 if you've mis-read what I wrote.  I was merely trying to suggest a 'potential' solution to assist you. 

Do I think Sony could and should provide facilities for a keyboard - Yes - after all, the TV does support Blutooth mice.  There are enough threads on this forum to suggest that there is a call for it.  But as it stands at the moment, its not going to happen. 

I am not 100% sure where the disability argument comes in though.  To be frank, you purchased a TV with some smart apps.  If you require full functionality of a computer, you need to purchase one.  The web browser was never ment to take over the functions of a PC, just an added extra of which many smart apps rely on the web browsers and code.  You use the right tool for the job.

---------------------------

Webcams

Im going to be up front here and say, that I hate manufacturers locking people in, of which you can only purchase their own accessories at highly inflated prices.  This goes to Sony with its webcams, as well as ALL manufactuers on the Active 3D glasses Saga - which in my opinion contributed to the fall of 3D itself.  Then you have Apple products......

On the flipside, manufacturers like the idea of what is know as a 'closed ecosystem'.  They have ultimate power over everything.  This enables cheaper development and support costs.  As well as not relying on another company. 

Now for Sony, they can guarantee that thier own Webcam is 100% compatible with their TV and the software that runs it.  If Sony allowed every other branded webcam, the support costs to Sony would be astronomical, which ultimately would reflect in costs somewhere along the line.  Sony would also need to test each and every camera to ensure it works and is complient on standards and compatiblity.

What happens when it doesnt work?  Whos to blame?   If Sonys webcam doesnt work, Sony has ultimate responsibility and has ultimate control over all aspects of fixing any issues that may arise.

Windows XP as more than 40 million lines of code and must support a large amount of consumer devices.  When it goes wrong, it crashes.  Sony TVs are based on a stipped down version of Linux.  It must be rock solid and never crash (hopefully)

-----------------

I am only trying to help and provide assistance where I can.  If you dont like my answers, thats ok - happy to debate and take on board constructive critecism.  I volunteer my time and efforts in order to help - I do not get paid, I am not a Sony employee.  But calling explainations 'trite' is bordering on rude and less likely that I want to help or even provide any answer.

Thank you.

profile.country.en_GB.title
hcr_hassen

Yeah, no need to jump on Qunnicus.

If support costs are the issue, perhaps there are other solutions. Make the generic webcam/HID support "non-official". Maybe activated in the service menus. And just leak it to the web. :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@hcr_hassen Yes I second that remark!

@Catz2015 Quinnicus has helped many people on these forums myself included and for that I'm very grateful. We all get irritated by techno-niggles, it's only through healthy debate that we discover other options and Quinnicus was simply providing those for you.

Take them or leave them the choice is yours but you could at least show a little gratitude, at least you got a reply!

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14