Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Bravia 46HX853 TV will not show AV input

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
steveegg
Visitor

Sony Bravia 46HX853 TV will not show AV input

I have just bought a Sony KDL-46HX853 and connected it to a Pioneer VSX-922 AV Receiver. The TV is controlling the AV on-off and volume, but when I select HDMI1 on the input menu the screen is black whatever I do with the AV menu selections.

I have tried connecting the TiVo and Sony Blu-Ray to HDMI1 using the same cable and they both play through perfectly.

I also have a similar problem with the AV1 SCART connection and AV2 Composite connection. When I connected my old HDD recorder to AV1 the TV showed a black screen. When I then connected it into AV2 using composite video and audio cables, the sound played through the TV, but again it showed a black screen.

Is there something obvious I'm missing here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bravia55HX

Hi,

as far as im aware, just connecting the AV reciever to the tv will do nothing on its own via HDMI other than maybe give you sound and the blank screen you suggested, im afraid all this HDMI pass thru is a little beyond me.

i personally connect this way- TiVo to HDMI 1 on tv, Blu Ray to HDMI 4, Digital coaxial from BluRay to Amp and if you want to (ihave not) Digital Optical from TiVo to Amp and thats it, you can of coarse improve sound by connecting another Digital Optical from tv to Amp but again i have not done this either (no point).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Bravia55HX

Hi,

can you elaborate on what you have connected to what please?, are you trying to connect with HDMI pass thru.

steveegg
Visitor

Sorry, I think I'm confusing things by describing two problems. The main problem is the TV not displaying input from the Pioneer VSX-922 AV Receiver:

- The AV Receiver is connected from its Out port, using an HDMI cable, to the HDMI 1 port on the TV. I have nothing connected as an input to the AV receiver.

- The TV is outputting sound OK via the AV Receiver and also controlling the AV Receiver on/off and volume

- However, when I set the TV input to the AV Receiver on the HDMI 1 port, it does not display the AV Receiver menus when I select 'Home' on the AV Receiver remote (or any other selection). -

Bravia55HX

Hi,

as far as im aware, just connecting the AV reciever to the tv will do nothing on its own via HDMI other than maybe give you sound and the blank screen you suggested, im afraid all this HDMI pass thru is a little beyond me.

i personally connect this way- TiVo to HDMI 1 on tv, Blu Ray to HDMI 4, Digital coaxial from BluRay to Amp and if you want to (ihave not) Digital Optical from TiVo to Amp and thats it, you can of coarse improve sound by connecting another Digital Optical from tv to Amp but again i have not done this either (no point).